Help! I did something very stupid.

tahrey

Long story short, I slipped up whilst shuffling some files around by hand via the WebIF, and I accidentally deleted the "[edit]" folder, which I mainly find useful for correcting other mistakes and slips by grabbing the previous timeshift buffer (...hence the manual shuffling).

Is there any way to recreate this other than completely removing and then reinstalling the custom firmware? EG Can it be done by hand with the right combination of ascii codes for the folder names, given that they display as strange 8.3 squiggle-names instead of the usual LFNs when viewed over the network using windows explorer?

I've had a quick squizz through the package list, diagnostics etc, tried re-installing the webif itself and seeing if there's anything else that might be involved, but have drawn a blank. This literally happened about 15 minutes ago and I'd like to get it fixed asap before the main bulk of Easter Weekend programmes kick in! Plz help :eek:

Thanks....

fwiw i'm going to see if it reappears when i reboot, and maybe see how quickly i can get the CF reinstalled, seeing as something i was actively recording has just finished, but i'm not that confident as it's been quite a long time since i touched any of that stuff

So the "[edit]" folder is in your My Video collection? Just create a new folder - I don't understand why you think you need to reinstall the CF, after all, you set up the folder in the first place.

Do you have the undelete package installed? If so, you will probably find your folder and its contents intact in the recycle bin folder.

Well no, I didn't make it, it was automatically created by the custom firmware on installation, and has all the magic Split, Join, TSR and Copy folders in it. If you look at them in the webif or via the box's own interface they have normal names, but over Samba they've got some strange characters in.

Haven't got the undelete package as until now it's not been a problem, I generally back stuff up directly onto an archive drive over the network (as I'd thankfully already done with the actual video contents of the folder) and in the past the bigger issue has been running out of space on the internal disc. Might consider installing it now though as I've got my workflow sorted such that the disc rarely gets more than 25% full (it hit 50% recently but that was a side effect of trying to defrag one slightly chaotic external drive, and another one dying on its arse and requiring all my attention to salvage). Or maybe I'll just back up the "empty" folder structure so it can be copied straight back on.

Still, at least it was an easy fix for this. Sorry for going headless-chicken but often the most critical problems tend to arise from little slips like that and I thought I'd pre-empt it :D

The undelete package doesn't just fill up your disk willy-nilly, there is a scheduled deletion process which gets more aggressive as the disk fills up. There are benefits to having it too - deletion (WebIF or SUI) becomes a file move, which is fast, and then the actual deletion takes place some time later in the background.

I still don't understand what you mean about [edit], but I ain't going there. If it's a support structure for a particular package, then it only holds temporary files and the relevant package will recreate it if it's missing when needed - so stop panicking.

Back