HELP I've knackered the customised firmware (almost)

mike125

All,

I installed Raydon's customised firmware on my HDR ages ago (and really enjoyed using it, thanks Rayon).

The long story goes a bit like this;

At some point in time I attempted to get the dynamic DNS update service running but in the process somehow knackered most of the added functionality (I think due to changing some files in the /opt folder) leaving only the file sharing (samba I presume) running. I was using it in this state for some time but decided the other day to attempt to fix it by re-installing the custom firmware. This had no effect so I installed the original firmware again (from the Humax Beta site) and then re-installed the latest custom firmware.

Now the file sharing is also no longer working but I can browse to the units IP on my network. It tells me to click a button for it to download the latest web interface which I do but eventually the download fails stating DNS type issues. I have checked all the network settings (router IP, DNS IP are the same pointing at my router) and believe them to be correct. Also noteworthy is that BBC iPlayer cannot connect.

I am fast running out of ideas.

To get to the point, how can I effectively re-format the unit and get the custom firmware working again?

Thanks in advance.

Here you go. If you can access the box via telnet then proceed directly to step 2.

(1) There is a telnet package included in the CFW rar archive named telnet_1.0_mips.opk. Copy this into the root folder of a USB stick. ( If you don't know what one of those is, it just means a UPD ). With the HDR fully booted insert the USB stick into the front USB port and wait for at least 1 minute for the package to install. If successful the file will have been renamed to telnet_1.0_mips.opk.done and a report will have been created on the stick named telnet_1.0_mips.opk.install.log. If successful it should contain this text:
Install started
Installing telnet (1.0) to root...
Configuring telnet.
Install done

You should then be able to establish a telnet session to the HDR.

(2) From telnet enter rm -rf /mnt/hd4/opt which will remove all remnants of your corrupted CFW installs.
Then enter reboot to restart the box. This will recreate a clean custom directory structure.
Downside is that the cleanup will also have removed telnet as well, so you need to install it again from USB stick as described in step 1.
If you performed step 1 previously then it will suffice to just rename telnet_1.0_mips.opk.done to telnet_1.0_mips.opk before inserting the USB stick

(3) From telnet enter ping -c 2 hpkg.tv Output should look like this.

Foxsat-HDR~# ping -c 2 hpkg.tv
PING hpkg.tv (89.248.55.75): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 89.248.55.75: icmp_seq=0 ttl=245 time=32.3 ms
64 bytes from 89.248.55.75: icmp_seq=1 ttl=245 time=34.2 ms

--- hpkg.tv ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 32.3/33.8/35.0 ms

If it doesn't then you need to sort out your HDR's connection to the internet before you can continue.

If it does, then there is no reason why an install of the full web interface from the bootstrap web interface shouldn't work.
However, you can still install the full web interface manually via telnet by entering the following commands in the order given:
opkg update
opkg install webif lighttpd
reboot

Last edited:
In the same way that Tenet isn't a communications protocol?
C'mon, eleven out of fourteen wasn't bad was it ? Anyway, I've done a BH job on it now, so I'll just say "Don't understand, haven't a clue what you're talking about." :rolleyes:
BTW You missed 'incuded' :D

Last edited:
OK, so I managed to install the telnet all ok and connect using putty and send the rm etc. command, no response, is this correct?

Rebooted and re-installed telnet as per instruction. I do the ping and it eventually reports 100% packet loss so my internet connection must be off.

I'll have to mess with the network settings here as I do have a rather complicated home network (big house so 2 wireless routers & 1 additional modem, all on LAN). could I try an external DNS (e.g. google)?

OK, so I managed to install the telnet all ok and connect using putty and send the rm etc. command, no response, is this correct?
Yes, you would only get a response if there was an error.

Rebooted and re-installed telnet as per instruction. I do the ping and it eventually reports 100% packet loss so my internet connection must be off.

I'll have to mess with the network settings here as I do have a rather complicated home network (big house so 2 wireless routers & 1 additional modem, all on LAN). could I try an external DNS (e.g. google)?
Try a ping from your HDR to hpkg.tv using its IP address instead. ( ping -c 2 89.248.55.75 ).
If that succeeds it's definitely a DNS problem. Normally the DNS service is provided by your ISP but you could use a public DNS service instead.

Last edited:
OK, sorted the network (pointing at the wrong IP) and followed the update instructions using the telnet connection, all appeared to run ok but now the webif still appears as the bootstrap one and I get a 404 error which I click 'download and install ...'.

If I try and do a ping in putty now I get the following;
upload_2014-8-28_18-50-0.png

unknown error -89?

Any ideas?

Panic over, it was my cache in chrome.

Thanks Raydon, it's ace firmware by the way, I'm really impressed.

If I try and do a ping in putty now I get the following;
unknown error -89?
Any ideas?
When you install the full web interface BusyBox v1.18.4 is installed along with it, and it's this that provides the ping applet instead of the original v1.2.2 Busybox provided by Humax.
Don't know why, but it always generates error -89 even when the ping succeeds, so just ignore it. If you want the original BusyBox v1.2.2 version of ping then enter /bin/ping instead of just ping. Anyway, glad you're all up and running again.

Last edited:
Panic over, it was my cache in chrome.
If you'd used the bootstrap web interface for the install it would have displayed a message on completion prompting you to clear your browser cache before attempting to access the full web interface.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have tried the above and unable to install the full web interface as I keep getting the following error:
"wget: hummypkg.org.uk: Unknown host"

The ping -c 2 hpkg.tv returned a satisfactory response as suggested above. Here is a screenshot:screenshot1.jpeg
Wonder if Raydon can help. I have 2 foxsat hdrs and I had difficulty installing the custom firmware on the second hdr before and previously cloned the entire hard drive from one to the other to get most of the functionality (although had some problems with the auto update of the timer at night, may be something to do with slight incompatibility of the hard drive).
Would be grateful for some help. BW.

Thanks for the quick reply. If it is a DNS problem then how come the ping -c 2 hpkg.tv and ping -c 2 google.com are giving satisfactory responses?

Thanks for pointing me in right direction. The "problem" was the modem/router was configured to port777 instead of port80.

All working fine again. Great piece of software. Thanks to all who made it possible. Live long and prosper.

The port thing turned out to be a red herring. There seemed to be some problem between my own modem and ISP service provision (erratic on certain web addresses, especially hummypkg). So I replaced my modem with the one provided by the ISP running on reset (factory) settings and foxsat is now working fine with the latest custom firmware.

Thanks for your help.

Back