Help me understand the media browser pie chart

AndyCalling

When I press the Media button, next to the recordings listing my 512gig HDR2000T shows a small pie chart for HDD usage as 25% light green and 25% dark green with 50% light grey. I get that the light grey space is free, but I don't understand the other two colours. I originally thought the light green was system files, but it seems not as I certainly have over a quarter of the drive filled with content. Both greens seem to increase in size. Can anyone enlighten me?

It's just the way Humax have designed it. The top half of the circle is a different colour to the bottom half - simple as that.

So, there is really just green (used) and grey (free). This has been asked a few times before so it was obviously a confusing design choice by Humax.

Well, thanks for that. Very weird design choice, I agree. You see they way they show usage, in a circular chart using segments, many people will assume it is a pie chart. Especially as the 'top half is lighter' design choice is not consistent since the grey 'empty' colour is uniform an does not exhibit this two-tone styling. If it was a pie chart, of course, every colour would be significant. Now I know it is a Humax chart I can look at it without the expectation of the pie chart standard logic that the UK population has had drilled in to them from childhood being used. The only wonder is why on earth Humax felt that making their own proprietary charting system look so much like a pie chart was a good idea, let alone not mentioning this important fact in the manual. Probably the same chap who decided it would be a good idea to miss out the TV AV button on the remote I suppose. Oh well, at least I know now.

Humax, what was wrong with just using a pie chart? It would then have been well understood. I don't see how your Humax charts improve on the pie chart, frankly. You may be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Last edited:
It is a pie chart, just that Humax chose a two-tone green (maybe to give it a 3D appearance). It's not worth getting this hot under the collar about. If you get your usage over 75% you will find it changes tone on the left half as well as the right.

I often wonder why they couldn't provide a 'rough' approximation of remaining space in either hours of GB/MB

I have it on my Toppy and its really quite useful and surprising accurate. Obviously there is no mix of HD and SD content so probably makes it easier to do the calculations.

Even worse: the HiDef feeds vary their bit rates. They are only about half (now) of what they were a couple of years ago.

Humax, what was wrong with just using a pie chart? It would then have been well understood. I don't see how your Humax charts improve on the pie chart, frankly. You may be trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.
Here are the icons Humax uses to create their 'Pie Chart' :-
pie-icons.jpg

Back