Help Please - Problem with Trixes WiFi Dongle

Chrisfi

With the Trixes USB dongle attached to my box and LAN cable removed, I still see the 'Configure WiFi' greyed out and thus it's not selectable. The other options including 'Configure LAN' are all selectable.

I have tried both the front and rear USB ports.

This is what I get from cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 2.01 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=148f ProdID=7601 Rev= 0.00
S: Manufacturer=MediaTek
S: Product=802.11 n WLAN
S: SerialNumber=1.0
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=160mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 8 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
E: Ad=84(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=85(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=08(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=04(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=05(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=06(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=07(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
E: Ad=09(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
Can anyone help?
Thanks.

The parameters from a compatible dongle are shown in the following link: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/wifi-dongle-possible-solution-help-needed.4021/page-2#post-53268
With your dongle, there is no driver listed, this should be 'Driver=rt2870'. Many of the other parameters are different. I think this dongle is the wrong chipset. Short of compiling a custom Linux kernel with the correct driver file included, this dongle is not going to work with the Humax. Unfortunately a lot of these generic type dongles often have several hardware versions, which all look the same but are based on different chips. I recommend the Tenda W311U+ which is a good, compatible dongle available for less than £10.

Thanks Monty. However, I selected the Trixes dongle from the Wiki FAQ -(I don't have enough post credit to put the link here). The included Win driver CD states its for a Ralink chipset and when plugged into my laptop its shows as a Ralink. So it's confusing that my Humax shows the manufacturer as MediaTek? Any ideas?

P: Vendor=148f ProdID=7601 Rev= 0.00

The driver that the Humax has supports a few chips with that vendor number but not this one.
If you're running custom firmware then I could package up a replacement driver for you which adds this product ID, but it will only work if it is the same chipset (RT307x)... worth a try anyway.

Hi af123, that would be great thanks. Definitely worth a try before I attempt to try the lucky dip (Amazon) again!

Try installing the rt3070 package I've just uploaded and reboot and see if the output changes.

Thanks Monty. However, I selected the Trixes dongle from the Wiki FAQ
The WiKi can only report the findings of it's users, until now no user has reported a problem with a Trixes device, we have had the same problem with the Edimax - EW - 7711 Models, the WiKi was changed as a result
EDIT
I have updated the WiKi HERE

The Trixes dongle listed on the Wiki is this one: http://www.play.com/stores/Digiflex/listing/693345399 The description states that it uses the Ralink 3070 chipset. On Amazon, the Trixes dongles I have found are black in colour, rather than white and the chipset is not mentioned. The one from Play.com is probably OK, but there is always a risk that the hardware had changed. I would only recommended buying a dongle if the listing specifically mentions the correct chipset or gives you enough information to check it out for yourself. Here is a useful website for doing this: http://wikidevi.com/w/index.php?title=Category:Wireless_adapter&pagefrom=AIN Communications AWU2000b#mw-pages

Hey af123, I tried that package and rebooted, but the output is unchanged. Looks like I need to find a different dongle. Many thanks for trying.

A good tip is to read the comments left by previous purchasers of the dongle you have in mind, on Amazon for example there are quite often comments such as :-

Tenda.jpg

Back