Help! Please! USB Option on Media has "disapeared"

Andy Tain

Help!
I've had a good mooch around the forum (and learned some stuff I wish I'd've known a few years ago!) but can't see this anywhere - please forgive me if it is somewhere.

When I go to media and press the blue button it used to show HDD/USB/Network, now the USB option does not appear (I used to play from USB flash drives and powered portable drives and copy to them)

Any ideas please - tried a few drives and hitting it with a hammer but no joy.

Any pointers appreciated - thanks

Have you tried turning it off and on again (fully off, at the mains)?

Do you have something else in another USB socket (eg a WiFi dongle)?

Hi
Thanks for quick reply - stuck at work at moment
I'm pretty sure I have done the mains thing BUT I'll do the full mains off again tonight as I will love it if it sorts it (and I'll feel daft in the process!)

I've only just looked on line for an image and noticed there's a USB on the rear - never knew that! I'll check I've stuck nothing in when installed (it's sort of built into a unit)

Appreciate the help

If none of that helps, and you are absolutely sure the UPD is valid, the only remaining possibilities are to try an eject operation (hidden service menu, see Things Every... (click) section 9), a Factory Reset (Menu >> Settings >> Installation >> Factory Default), or re-flash the system software.

The line "are you absolutely sure the upd is valid", led me to try 4 different sticks plus one external hard drive. No joy.
Then ... put in a brand new upd, fresh out of the packet, and that works

So good news is humax box is "okay", but i think I need a new stock of usb sticks!

Many many thanks for your help and pointers, RESULT

Maybe just a dicky socket? Try the rear one.

Another idea: if (for some reason) the socket is no longer able to supply more than a trickle of 5V current, it would not power up a drive (did it?) or high-demand UPDs.

Andy Tain - Have you recently 'upgraded' to Windows 10? I have heard a rumour that it writes GUID partition tables on media, which is fine on the PC but will render your USB storage unreadable on the HDR-FOX.

Edit. There is more about this in the post here. If you are using Windows 10 then this is your likely culprit.

Last edited:
Back