Help Please - Using Hummy subtitles on a PC?

retepg

Hi,

My faithful Toppy 5810 is beginning to fade and so I'm in need of a replacement. So far, the HDR-FOX T2 looks to be the best candidate, but before I commit myself I need to be sure that I will be able to do the following:

1) Transfer StDef recordings (not so concerned about HiDef ones ) to my Windows 7 PC (from looking at various threads here, I gather this shouldn't be a problem).

2) When the recordings are on the PC I need to be able to edit them (currently use VideoRedo for my Toppy recordings.

3) And this is vital!!! - Be able to extract subtitles from the Hummy recording in order to produce .srt files (currently use ProjectX and VobSub or SubRip for my Toppy files).

Any information - particularly about item 3 - would be very much appreciated - many thanks.

1) All content on the Humax is encrypted, however if you copy an StDef (Not Hi-Def) recording to USB it will be decryted
2) VideoReDo TV suite will edit StDef recordings (H624 version required for Hi-Def)
3) The best way is to try your Subtitle extraction on THIS SAMPLE HUMAX FILE (Note you don't have to sign-up to download)

High def recordings can also be decrypted using FOXY or the CUSTOM FIRMWARE

Retepg, may I ask what you use the .srt files for?
Using MPC-HC 1.6.5 on a windows 7 PC the subtitles from a decrypted HDR-FOX-T2 HD Doctor Who (Christmas 2012) displayed fine.

Ezra, very many thanks indeed for the information, just what I needed! I've downloaded the sample file, tried my usual subtitle procedures on it - and they worked fine :)

So, looks like I'll be a Hummy owner before long!

Retepg, may I ask what you use the .srt files for?
Using MPC-HC 1.6.5 on a windows 7 PC the subtitles from a decrypted HDR-FOX-T2 HD Doctor Who (Christmas 2012) displayed fine.

Luke, the reason I use .srt files is that I have a hearing problem and need subtitles whereas my better half doesn't. The 'standard' subtitles tend to be rather intrusive, and so I record any interesting-looking programmes, move them to the PC, edit them, and create the far less intrusive .srt files. Then watch them on the TV via a WD TV Live Media Player. Keeps us both happy!!!

The 'standard' subtitles tend to be rather intrusive
On the HDR-FOX-T2 the subtitles against the HD channels are small compared to the Toppy 5800 and what the Humax displays on its SD channels.
Presuming the Toppy 5810 and 5800 subtitles are the same size then using a HDR-FOX-T2 for the HD channels may save you a bit of effort as they may be suitable without convertion

Back