Help understanding 'disable-dso' and 'disable-ota'

Trev

The Dumb One
I have read a lot of the stuff about Disable-ota and disable-dso and think that I understand, but would like confirmation of my understanding please as the various threads dealing with them are rather convoluted and I suspect that some must have been overtaken by events.

1 'disable-dso' just prevents the box asking for a re-tune (and then doing it automatically if you do not respond 'NO') when freeview has changed stuff around on the various multiplexes. It has no side effects other than the possibility that you won't have the correct channel allocation?

2. 'disable-ota'. This prevents the automatic update of the firmware and its undesirable consequences?

3. 'disable-ota' setting 'Create reminder to cover OTA period'.
I understand that this creates a scheduled 'ON' event from 04:20 to 04:40 so that the EPG can update? It is not required unless you are going to leave the box in standby for a protracted length of time and need the EPG to update for the benefit of any series recordings that you have set. This also seems to have the disadvantage of leaving the 'last channel' on 200, so if you have Power On Channel set to 'Last Channel', the box is on 200 when it starts?

As it seems that setting a reminder for the 04:20 to 04:40 suppresses any ota update BH Post 2 back in 2012, what does the disable-ota do on its own?

So basically, if I am not leaving the box unattended with a scheduled series, I only need the disable-ota and the disable-dso packages running, with the disable-ota reminder switched off?

3. The purpose of the disable-OTA scheduled 04:20 to 04:40 is to prevent the Humax doing it's own wake up during this period by keeping it busy, if not enabled (i.e. the Humax is not busy), the Humax wakes up a 04:30 and looks for an OTA download. The other part of disable-OTA deletes any Auto schedules that are normally inserted by the Humax for this daily 04:20 to 04:40 wake-up. The reason that there is a 04:20 to 04:40 option, is that very occasionally the main part of disable-OTA fails to delete an auto-insertion (I have never seen disable-OTA fail to delete an auto insertion, but I am told it can happen)

Thanks for that Ezra. I assume that my presumptions about 1 and 2 are correct then.

1. Pretty much, you may still want to do a retune e.g. to get new channels, but you can prepare for the loss of schedule / favourites if this is done manually
2. Yes

(I have never seen disable-OTA fail to delete an auto insertion, but I am told it can happen)
Of course it can. The box requires a reboot to delete a schedule item, so if there is no reboot between the humaxtv process adding one and it taking effect...

As a bonus, if you have automatic decryption set up this will occur during the reminder period. I usually add ten minutes to the reminder and have it running from 4.15 to 4.45 am. The system checks for files to decrypt every 10 minutes when fully awake. With the 4.20 to 4.40 reminder, the first scan does not happen until 4.30, so there is only 10 minutes for decryption to run. This is usually enough time to decrypt one high def. programme. The extended period I use gives the unit up to 25 minutes processing time.

Good Day,

I have been setting up a second Fox T2 for the my parents over Christmas and have a question.
Given it is now 2016 how likely is it the T2 will ever receive a firmware update again from Humax? Is 'disable-ota' still necessary.

Also whether I have the 'Create reminder to cover OTA period' set to yes or no on this new T2, the reminder entry in the schedule is always there. Even after hot or cold reboots and reinstalls. Their first T2 behaves as expected. Any suggestions?

Happy New Year by the way.

You have to remove the reminder manually - the setting only prevents a new one being added, so if it is there already ii will remain until you delete it from the schedule: Guide >> Schedule (yellow) >> (select entry) >> Delete (blue)

As to whether it is still relevant: without disable-ota the box will wake up in the night and check for an update nonetheless. disable-ota can prevent this happening most of the time, and the (optional) reminder schedule is useful for ensuring the EPG is kept updated even if the box is unused for a period of time.

There doesn't seem (to me) to be any point in not using it.

Refs:
Preventing External Events from Disturbing the CF (click);
Things Every... (click) section 4.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help Black Hole you were indeed correct.
For others reading this you can delete the reminder if required via the T2 on the Tv with the remote control only. You can not delete the entry from the Custom Firmware schedule page, it just keeps coming back. Of course there are good arguments to keep it.

For others reading this you can delete the reminder if required via the T2 on the Tv with the remote control only. You can not delete the entry from the Custom Firmware schedule page, it just keeps coming back.
That should not be the case, indeed I have just tested it.

There are two reasons you may have found the reminder entry restored: 1) you had not disabled the disable-ota setting in WebIF >> Settings >> Settings for disable-ota package; 2) Without the reminder entry the schedule was empty, and the auto-schedule-restore package puts it back from the last backup believing that a retune has taken place.

Back