Help with network shares automount

I hope the screenshot has attached. I'm having trouble getting my wife's laptop to link to the humax via the network shares automount method. I've read through the pages on this forum relating to it but cannot get it to work. I have my laptop working fine with it , I can play videos on my laptop via the humax no probs with the info I've input into the mod settings folder. Any ideas?

Your screen grab appears to show passwords!

If the wife's laptop is Windows (is it?), why are you using CIFS? SMB would be the appropriate protocol.

How is cifs enabled?

3egy7a8u.jpg

The TRA, file contains her laptop info

I think we need to be clear what you are trying to do since it affects which packages need to be installed. Would I be correct in saying that you are trying to use the Humax to view videos which are saved on the laptops?

I'm having trouble getting my wife's laptop to link to the humax via the network shares automount method.

Would it not be better having a media server on your wife’s laptop (e.g. XBMC)?

The danger of mounting a folder from your laptop is that unless it is a read only share it would be very easy (and very fast!!) for a user of the hummy to accidently delete the whole folder on the laptop. (e.g. If someone pressed the opt+ button rapidly twice, while the shared folder was selected).

For XBMC to be seen on the hummy I think all you need to do is go to <System><Network> and select
Share video and music libraries through UPnP
Allow control of XBMC via UPnP

Then on the hummy use the media>blue button (storage)>network and XBMC server should be visible (initially may need restart laptop and hummy).

That's for your suggestion, I may well use this method, however, the network shares automount was working very well for months I'm keen to figure out why it's stopped operating correctly for me.

the network shares automount was working very well for months I'm keen to figure out why it's stopped operating correctly for me.

Does this mean that it was working well on your wifes computer (windows 7) for months? Folder sharing on Windows7 seems a bit more complicated than folder sharing on Windows XP. If it is only her computer that has been affected then maybe an automatic update or firewall change on Windows7 has recently changed ?

I had wiped her hard drive, and reloaded windows 7 on, I've had to do the same with my own, and now none of the folders mount on any laptop!! I had used the dlna server at first but found it to be slow at times, the network shares automount was always lightening fast and i very rarely had any issues with it. I've just tried removing the network shares automount, cifs and samba packages, rebooted and reinstalled them but to no avail!

Oops! I just realised CIFS is OK and I was confusing it with NFS. My bad, sorry! :oops:

Interesting, that was puzzling me! The humax sees that my laptop is online but cannot access the folder, this would seem to be either me inputting the incorrect folder info( I've just named it Downloads, the folder resides in c:\users\david\Downloads) is this correct? Or a firewall blocking access or a share issue with the laptop.

Is this not just a simple spelling mistake? "downoads" vs. "downloads" (and yes, that graphic you posted with all that extraneous whitespace is very hard to read)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377208948.757153.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377209127.689888.jpg

This is the info, hopefully clearer, there was indeed a spelling error in the earlier attached image, but I had spotted this and amended it.

What does "net share" on the W7 machine report (command line session required)?
I presume you have checked the box is Pingable from the Humax and other basic networking stuff?
Try turning the firewall off (even if only temporarily) to prove if it's that or not.

Back