Help with streaming from laptop to HDR

rg001c7345

Hi - I'm probably missing the obvious here but I'm having difficulty seeing my videos on the HDR from my laptop (Vista). I could see them the first time I tried (when I first bought the box a month ago) but since I've had problems.

I go to 'Storage > Network' and can see my laptop but not the folder structure or videos.

I'm sure that the correct folders are shared (as I could see them from my 3View box before I threw it in the wheelie bin! :mad:)

Could someone point me in the right direction please?

On a separate note I'd just like to take this opportunity to say what a great job you guys do with this forum/wiki. A great source of info for newbies too. I've installed the cust-fw and finding my way around it nicely.

Rg.

You need to be running something on the PC able to access the DLNA server system, and "Content Sharing" needs to be turned on at the Humax (it might not be if you have done a firmware update of something).

On the PC you need the latest version of VLC, or XBMC, to access and play StDef recordings only.

You need a DLNA server running on your P.C., Something on the P.C. that has the files you want to stream in it's library and that is 'serving them to the network. Windows Media player has a built in DNLA server, Setings are Library >> Add to Library and Library >> Media Sharing

Thanks guys I will give this a try.

This has got me thinking. Is there a way of streaming what's currently on the laptop screen, to the HDR?

So for example, if I was streaming content from the internet to my laptop, could it be displayed on my TV screen without the need for audio and VGA cables?

Thanks in advance,

Rg.

Is there a way of streaming what's currently on the laptop screen, to the HDR?

I think this would be possible, I have a program that will capture any video that appears on the screen of a P.C. to a file. It could (but it doesn't) make it available as a DNLA stream, so you would need to find a program that does both

Which way are you trying to go? I read the OP as wanting to watch HDR content on the PC, Ezra's reply is for watching PC content on the HDR.

I think this would be possible, I have a program that will capture any video that appears on the screen of a P.C. to a file. It could (but it doesn't) make it available as a DNLA stream, so you would need to find a program that does both

What program do you use for that Ezra? I have a couple of videos I want to do this to, but I think the Flash carrier is well protected to stop the files being found in the PC cache.

Back