Help with Telnet

free30

Can anybody help me access my HDR with Telnet ?

I have managed it in the past and am not sure what I'm doing wrong this time. I have a couple of disk errors and want to run the Maintenance mode.

I'm using Windows 7 and have tried Putty and Windows own Telnet. I've IP address 192.168.1.6 and using port 23. I follow the instruction on the wiki and untick the box about the return key. But it exists and give an error 'connection refused by host'. I've the tried turning on FTP on the humax menu and share content, turning on samba and drop bear in the WebIF but still them same.

I tried turning off firewalls on my router and computer, running as administrator but same error. SSH seemed to work but asked for password.

I did have betaftp installed but I now removed it and still nothing.

I guess I'll try another operating system and then resetting the custom firmware and packages on the Humax. Any other idea would be welcome, I'm at a loss.

Last time I had this kind of problem it was using the default Security Code 0000? and not the one I had set up as the password.

Thanks.

I'm using the exactly the same settings as yesterday, had them saved in Putty and now it's working!
Maybe the odd reset on the box and my computer did it.
Thanks again.

FTP, betaftp, samba, drop bear, etc. won't enable/disable Telnet access. Although the 'un-tick' won't do any harm it isn't your problem either. I would start by trying to ping the Humax with ping 192.168.1.6 from a Windows CMD window to ensure the IP address is still correct

First step when the Humax is unreachable is to check the current IP address on the menus:

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Configure LAN or Configure Wi-Fi

However, "connection refused by host" is not the same as no response, we have had this reported before but I don't think the cause is known. Rebooting the Humax probably did the trick.

Do not have betaftp installed and the native FTP server turned on at the same time, they conflict and you will get no FTP service at all.

Do not have betaftp installed and the native FTP server turned on at the same time, they conflict and you will get no FTP service at all.

Yeah, I think that was it and never rebooting with the right set up. Thanks again for the support.

FTP is a different service from Telnet. A cock up on the FTP front should not affect the Telnet server.

Back