Hissing output when using a RF Modulator

chris_mackenzie

Hi,

I have just bought a Mercury RF Modulator to connect my HDR-FOX T2 pvr to a second TV.

I've managed to get a picture, which is perhaps slightly grainy there is a background hiss with the sound.

There is no option to fine tune the second TV.

I have a brand new scart cable. Made sure everything was nice and tight and the plugs fully inserted.

If any one can advise, I would be deeply grateful,

Best ...

If you can't hear the same hissing (High frequency noise) when you plug the Humax scart connector into a TV, I would say the noise is being generated in the RF modulator. You could try connecting the scart output from another source into the Modulator to see if it also happens with that

I have two of these RF Modulators, one connected to my Topfield, the other to my Hummy HDR-T2.

Whilst the picture quality is not fantastic, I do not hear any hiss on the connected TV (Samsung LCD) when using either modulator. I am lucky, I guess, because the Samsung does allow me to fine tune. Perhaps that is the difference.

FWIW, neither modulator is connected via the SCART to the Toppy or Hummy, I use the other connectors. The ones that look like phono plugs.

I use a 15m A/V cable (RCA/phonos) to connect to my bedroom TV. The Humax complains if the HDMI is connected though on some stations. Good picture quality.

I have experienced hiss on a SCART connection when there was a poor contact in the lead. Check your connections and try a different lead.

I have also used these modulators in the past (not currently) and have been satisfied with them. If I remember correctly they also have phono connections so you could switch to phono leads from the Humax to the modulator.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of changing the Scart. I have no other devices in the house which have a Scart connection to test with. I'm goping to see if I have ay phono cables in a drawer

Of course, there is that! I have my Humax volume on 18 as it then matches the native volume of the TV, but as a general rule send signals up wires at max strength.

I wondered what everyone's preference is a Scart cable or a video and audio cable set ?

It depends what video formats the Modulator will accept via the scart connector, Scart can transport composite video (the same as the single yellow phono connector) and it can also transport other standards that are better quality e.g. RGB and S-Video. If the scart and the phono are transporting composite video there is no real difference

It depends what video formats the Modulator will accept via the scart connector, Scart can transport composite video (the same as the single yellow phono connector) and it can also transport other standards that are better quality e.g. RGB and S-Video. If the scart and the phono are transporting composite video there is no real difference

Modulators only work with composite video in my experience. It wouldn't be hard to combine luminance and chrominance externally from s-video to get back to composite. Doubtfull you will gain anything on quality. Other than this the choice is largely down to convenience. If for instance (as I do) you want to use a multizone AV amp with the output to use a single modulator for several different inputs then RCA phonos are easiest and the most compact output to use (modulator is on zone 2 output) . Leaving aside how insecure scart connectors are :). In my case the modulator for one box is 10m from the box so a phono connection is the obvious choice.

Back