Homeplug interference from digital radio.

socrates

This isn't a specifically HDR issue but as Homeplugs seem to be popular with users here this may be a useful warning.

I use Homeplugs for our base network with a number of wireless access points. Yesterday I lost the network connection in one room. The wireless was OK but the network could not reach anywhere else in the house. My Iphone had no trouble connecting to the internet in the rest of the house ( separate access points ).

I thought at first the problem was interference from the central heating but eventually realised it was coming from a digital radio I had plugged in ( because the analogue radio suffered from the GH interference ). Download speed drops from around 5Mbs to 0.02 - ie as good as dead!

There are plenty of other mains adaptors in use but only this one seems to cause the problem, whether or not it is digital related I've no idea.

My thoughts are a faulty wall-wart power supply - something wrong with the suppression on the SMP (switch-mode power supply) releasing undue interference into the mains system. I doubt it would pass CE compliance in that state.

My thoughts are a faulty wall-wart power supply - something wrong with the suppression on the SMP (switch-mode power supply) releasing undue interference into the mains system. I doubt it would pass CE compliance in that state.
Its a Roberts Unologic radio should you wish to avoid it. Terrible sound, chews batteries, internal charger barely works and now, as you say, a faulty power supply.

I agree with BH on this one. Chances are it's the plug top PSU (wall-wart). I work for BT and have colleagues in the field of locating interference. They told me of a problem of poor BB speeds in a shared occupancy building. The problem was traced to a faulty wall-wart that was 'injecting' RF interference into the building mains supply. Wall-wart replaced and the problem was resolved.

But guess you will be buying a new radio anyway. FWIW, I have a couple of Pure DAB models and find them to be superb.

Back