How can you go to the first unread item in a thread ?

Assuming you are logged in, the thread title in the main list is emboldened if there is unread content. Clicking it takes you to the first unread post.

If the listing is not bold, clicking it gets you the first post. To the right, the latest poster is accompanied by the date - click the date to get the most recent post.

Last edited:
1549910455965.png
There is also this jump to new button at the top right of each thread page.

How would you need it? Getting to the thread typically needs a click from the forum listing, which takes you to "new" anyway. Once you've been there, it's no longer new.

You still need to be logged in of course.

This thread ought to be in "Forum Issues".

Assuming you are logged in, the thread title in the main list is emboldened if there is unread content. Clicking it takes you to the first unread post.

If the listing is not bold, clicking it gets you the first post. To the right, the latest poster is accompanied by the date - click the date to get the most recent post.
I could have sworn that clicking on the bold took me to the first page of thread

Click on the "New posts" button at the top right of the main forum listing. It gives you a list of everything that's new (not surprisingly!).
Then you click on an item in the list, and you're straight there.
View attachment 3916
There is also this jump to new button at the top right of each thread page.
Mere mortals only get the "Jump to new" and "Watch" buttons, not the tick and whatever that other thing on the right is in your image.

and just as I wrote the above I found two bold threads which when clicked took me to the first page.

It always works for me and takes me to the 'new' post. I have a shortcut that takes me to "hummy.tv/forum/find-new/posts"

and just as I wrote the above I found two bold threads which when clicked took me to the first page.
Specific examples?

AVSforum is lousy at this (for some reason they decided to roll their own forum software instead of going with established), but I have never known forums based on XenForo to cock up this kind of thing.

I think this must be some kind of bug or database error.

Incidentally, (in iOS) I can only open one attachment, whereas the "preview" shows two.

Aha! I think I might have the answer, because I just saw something similar but know what caused it.

I clicked a bold link and ended up with the top of the relevant page of posts (not necessarily the first page, first post). That's because the served HTML builds the page and the browser displays it from the top, and only at the very end of the data is the browser directed to focus further down the page. If the data transfer stalls before that, the focus is not redirected to the intended post.

If I had waited longer, it would have resolved when the data completed (or not if the page load timed out).

Going "back" and re-clicking presented the page correctly. "Refresh" would have presented the page correctly.

This would not be consistently repeatable. If the examples the OP presented are consistent, the above does not explain them away.

The instances are intermittent so that's why I thought I needed to look for a reliable solution

Back