How do I calculate folder size on usb drive

geordie

Hi

When I use the Humax web interface, it has options to show me the sizes of the different folders on the main drive. I would like to know the size of folders on the usb drive I have connected (without disconnecting the usb drive).

Is there a way to do this? I want to move files between drives and that is why I need to know how much space the folders take up on the drives.

I think my options are 1) do it using the web interface or 2) do it with commands in Maintenance mode.

Has anyone done this and can share?

Thanks
Jason

The easiest way is simply to install the samba package and then inspect the HDR-FOX file system (including any connected drives) using Windows Explorer (or your favourite file manager). The 'Fox will appear as network storage.

See also Things Every... (click) section 12; be aware that to copy recordings to USB using the Humax standard user interface you will need twice as much free space on the target drive as you think.

Thanks for that.

I have checked and Samba is installed.

So I guess I need to know to use the Humax as a network drive - are there any threads or articles on that?

You can get most of the information in Webif. If you click on the eject button by the top banner, it lists all attached USB devices, with their nominal capacities and the actual percentage of each disk used. If you click on browse, Webif lists all directories and files within /media/My Video. If you click on the 'media' portion in the path you go up a level where your USB drive will be listed. If you open the USB drive it will list all files and folders. Give it a few seconds and the file sizes will appear by each entry, with a total for the drive. It does not list the actual drive capacity though.

Give it a few seconds and the file sizes will appear by each entry, with a total for the drive. It does not list the actual drive capacity though.
This is why I asked - I am not getting the folder sizes on the USB drives, just individual file sizes. Works fine for the main internal drive, but not seeing it with the usb ones.

This is why I asked - I am not getting the folder sizes on the USB drives, just individual file sizes. Works fine for the main internal drive, but not seeing it with the usb ones.

Right click on the folder without opening it and choose properties. Or group select all the files in a folder.

It should work. See below:
USB.jpg
What format is the drive in? If it is NTFS, presumably you have the NTFS-3g package installed? If so is the drive mounted as 'drive' or 'usb-drive'? Clicking on the 'eject' button will tell you.

If the drive is shared with Samba, Windows Explorer on a PC in the same network will show the folder sizes. However:
I was talking about getting the folder size in webif, if I wait a few minutes I can get the sizes for the internal drive but not the usb drives.
On my machines, it takes just a few seconds for the folder sizes to display, even on external drives. The fact that it takes minutes for the OP to get this information for the internal drive, and it is not displayed for USB drives, indicates that this feature is not working correctly on his HDR-FOX.

Ok, it is not showing the folder sizes as part of webif. However, I can now see the folders through explorer after installing the samba package. :)

I am now using 3 usb drives through a powered hub and it is working fine :) , although a little slow when viewing the folders on the unit itself (but the webif is working normal speed).

I tried to copy a 2G file from the usb to my PC using explorer but it said it would take 5hrs :(. I did not want to remove the usb drive. Its not a need to have, but has anyone got a good way of doing this (or should I start another thread).

I tried to copy a 2G file from the usb to my PC using explorer but it said it would take 5hrs :(
That seems very slow. I tranferred 3GB from a PC to a USB attached to a HDR-FOX in about 20 minutes. The PC is connected to the router by ethernet, but the link to the HDR-FOX is wifi. Are the drives NTFS? I had a problem with the NTFS-3g package in the past. Navigating to the USB drive with the remote was very slow as were file transfers. Doing a force reinstall of said package sorted it out.

Back