How do I find Samba enabled Humax on XP computer

4ndy

I have installed the Samba package on my Humax. How do I find it on my pc (XP) please?

I there a wiki? - I haven't been able to find one?

Network Neighbourhood or Computers Near Me or Whatever It Is Called in XP. It helps if you set the Workgroup name to match (edit /mod/etc/smb.conf).

Huh? It's right next to Forums at the top left of your browser window.

Mapping a drive is NOT a requirement. You should be able to find it under "My Network Places", "Entire Network", "Micro$oft Windows Network".

Thanks for help so far.

I think this is where my difficulty lies. Under "My Network Places" I just have a list current and previous humax ftp links. No "Entire Network" or "Microsoft Windows Network". I do recall seeing these somewhere previously though.

I know how to map a network drive, I have several of them.

I don't quite know how I got there, but I have now found Microsoft Windows Network, but all that is showing is "Mshome" and within that shared folders for other computers in the house. Am I correct in thinking that the Humax should appear in the list with Mshome?

Web If is showing Samba as on.

Try typing in \\192.168.x.x or whatever the IP of your humax is ( I assume you fixed the IP on the humax not just dhcp) in the Start | run box. If that can connect to it then you should see the shares from where you can map your drive or access it with the unc.

Likewise from a cmd.exe prompt you could use:

pushd \\192.168.x.x

and it will map a temporary drive (starting with Z) until you do "popd".

Steve

I don't quite know how I got there, but I have now found Microsoft Windows Network, but all that is showing is "Mshome" and within that shared folders for other computers in the house. Am I correct in thinking that the Humax should appear in the list with Mshome?

Is this XP Home or Pro? I've only ever used Pro, so if you have Home I've no idea.

It depends what the Workgroup is set to. See post #2. Humax will not be set to "Mshome" - it defaults to "Workgroup".

Thanks dragon-it.

The start/run method worked. For other members coming after, I needed "\\" in front of the IP address. It then brought up a folder named "media" which I was able to map.

Many thanks to everyone for their help.

Back