How Do I install the Nowster Patch

bwizz

I am using custom firmware 4.1.3 lSeems that I need to install the Nowster patch. I have downloaded it.Can someone tell me how to flash/install it ta

Search is your friend, and there is a sub-section for FOXSAT custom firmware:
Download the patch from HERE. Put it onto your USB stick, same as you did with the firmware .hdf file. This time though, just plug it into your HDR while it is fully booted. Wait one minute then remove it and reboot. If it succeeded the .opk file you put onto the USB stick will have been renamed to .opk.done.
Now make a short HD test recording and copy it off to your PC, or stream it via Bluray player. N.B. All HD recordings made prior to the patch installation still remain encrypted.
...or:
If you have telnet enabled on your box and PC telnet into the box IP address in a CMD window.

Copy and Paste the following and enter it after the Foxsat prompt. Reboot the box to load the patch

opkg install http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk

Thanks the filename has changed to Done. Not sure about how to stream with blu Ray player thanks

Deleted twonky, enabled media tomb. The configuration link on the site does not work. Can't see how to proceed with viewing anything via MT
Thanks

Thanks the filename has changed to Done. Not sure about how to stream with blu Ray player thanks

Give us a clue (make and model of blu-ray player would help} . Is it a smart model with media playback options ? . re-install Twonky it does work with the CF.

Does it has a DlNA client ? for me, Is it connected to same home network as your Foxsat ?

A LG smart blu-ray player worked fine . (Now replaced with 4K UHD HDR smart blu-rsy plsyer).

What packages do have installed, Are you trying to stream-HD content ? If so to what device ?

Sadly none of us have a crystal ball. :(

I have selected a SD recording! It says on site use only one media player pref MT for HD . Trying to play/stream back on old Windows 7 laptop or Android devices on same network. Humax box is wired network to router!
Lots of patchy information on the site re this subject thanks

Lots of patchy information on the site re this subject thanks
So improve it. You have to remember this forum is not the primary resource for FOXSAT custom firmware, even if the primary resource has gone cold.

I have selected a SD recording! It says on site use only one media player pref MT for HD . Trying to play/stream back on old Windows 7 laptop or Android devices on same network. Humax box is wired network to router!
So what client are you using on the Windows laptop?

So improve it. You have to remember this forum is not the primary resource for FOXSAT custom firmware, even if the primary resource has gone cold.
Re I am hardly in a position to remove dead links, remove duplicated /redundant information. I am just an occasional tinkered, who is trying to get the best out of old technology which cost me not much and does 90% of what I'd like to do

The server is the machine wot the 'stuff' is stored on and the client is the remote device/software wot plays said 'stuff'.

Windows media player is a dlna server. It's built into windows.

Google is your friend.

In the CF software addons are DLNA servers. I use Twonky 4.

In addition to nowsters patch you may need the convert files add on. This changes the audio track which plays back on the remote client. Often this is the audio described track rather than the main one.

eg streaming HD recordings from a Foxsat-HDR to a 2nd generation Humax freesat box like the HDR-1000S needs this add on. 2nd generation boxes have a client with the standard software

Tried following the link re vlc /playlist. When I select Media Tomb. Or re enabled Samba. The laptop exits from vlc. Maybe its to old to cope?
I put vlc on an Android tablet. Twonky and Medi Tomb are seen but no files in them.?
Anon. Able to veiw on Android devices via VLC/Media Tomb. "Twonky version has expired"! but not old laptop! Thanks

What version of VLC are you using on the laptop? What operating system and version is it running?
Re, not really bothered about the laptop. It is stone age! It's working on the tablet now and that will suffice, shame the hdr software can't be modernised as it is so nearly there!

Back