How do I release a protected recording.

shirley

I am inadvertently recording hours of BBC News programmes. Apparently I need to release it before I can stop it recording (it's 'protected'). How do I release a protected recording please.

Your description does not apply to a recording that is scheduled for future recording - I think you may be talking about deleting an existing recording. Note that you have posted in the Humax HD-FOX T2 section of the forum, so the below assumes you are talking about an HD-FOX with some kind of external drive connected to the USB port on the rear (but equally applies to HDR-FOX). If you have any other machine the following is not relevant to you:

To stop a recording that is in progress: press the stop button (square symbol) on the handset. On-screen prompts will ask you to confirm the action.

To prevent a future recording: Guide >> Schedule (yellow) >> select the recording you wish to cancel >> Delete (blue)

To delete an existing recording:
Media >> select the recording you wish to delete >> OPT+ >> Delete
IF the "Delete" option on the resulting on-screen menu is unavailable (shown in light text), the recording is currently locked due to not having had playback stopped properly. Select Play, then when the recording is playing press the stop button, and then try again.
IF the on-screen menus request a password, the recording has been locked (padlock icon) to prevent unauthorised playback or deletion. The default password is "0000" (but may have been changed by the user).​
Note: the above applies to the OPT+ menu. If you use the "OK" menu to access options such as play and delete, the delete option will not be greyed out even if it is unavailable, but will not succeed in deletion even though the user input seems normal. This is confusing for users and is a good reason to always use the OPT+ menu instead.

I hope that solves your problem, please report back. These are "normal" functionality for the HD-FOX - if your problem is the result of an abnormality we will have to get more technical.

Last edited:
I am inadvertently recording hours of BBC News programmes. Apparently I need to release it before I can stop it recording (it's 'protected'). How do I release a protected recording please.
Your description does not apply to a recording that is scheduled for future recording - I think you may be talking about deleting an existing recording. Note that you have posted in the Humax HD-FOX T2 section of the forum, so the below assumes you are talking about an HD-FOX with some kind of external drive connected to the USB port on the rear (but equally applies to HDR-FOX). If you have any other machine the following is not relevant to you:

To stop a recording that is in progress: press the stop button (square symbol) on the handset. On-screen prompts will ask you to confirm the action.

To prevent a future recording: Guide >> Schedule (yellow) >> select the recording you wish to cancel >> Delete (blue)

To delete an existing recording:
Media >> select the recording you wish to delete >> OPT+ >> Delete
IF the "Delete" option on the resulting on-screen menu is unavailable (shown in light text), the recording is currently locked due to not having had playback stopped properly. Select Play, then when the recording is playing press the stop button, and then try again.
IF the on-screen menus request a password, the recording has been locked (padlock icon) to prevent unauthorised playback or deletion. The default password is "0000" (but may have been changed by the user).​
Note: the above applies to the OPT+ menu. If you use the "OK" menu to access options such as play and delete, the delete option will not be greyed out even if it is unavailable, but will not succeed in deletion even though the user input seems normal. This is confusing for users and is a good reason to always use the OPT+ menu instead.

I hope that solves your problem, please report back. These are "normal" functionality for the HD-FOX - if your problem is the result of an abnormality we will have to get more technical.
many thanks

But has it fixed your problem?
My problem was 'How to prevent a future recording" . My usual action didn't work - as I found out sometime later. I have followed the helpful instructions given by 'Black Hole' and am pretty sure this time it will be successful as so far BBC News hasn't reappeared as a recording on my 'Media List'.

The only other way to cancel a future recording is to find the programme in question in the guide and press OK - if it was previously set to record then the "OK" will result in it asking if you want to cancel the recording. This won't work if the programme is due for transmission in a week or more, or if the programme is currently in the process of being recorded.

The only other way to cancel a future recording is to find the programme in question in the guide and press OK - if it was previously set to record then the "OK" will result in it asking if you want to cancel the recording. This won't work if the programme is due for transmission in a week or more, or if the programme is currently in the process of being recorded.
OK, I get that, pressing guide and so forth has always been my usual action. In this instance in guide BBC News didn't show up as actioned for recording i.e.: BBC News with yellow background and red clock to the right. So, very difficult to cancel future recording by this method. However, thankyou for your solution blog, it's the first time I've used green or yellow buttons! We learn something every day.

You may have been looking in the wrong place: eg the recording was scheduled for BBC ONE HD but you were looking at the guide for BBC ONE (SD). Regardless, Guide >> Schedule catalogues everything that is scheduled to record, without having to go look for it.

You may have been looking in the wrong place: eg the recording was scheduled for BBC ONE HD but you were looking at the guide for BBC ONE (SD). Regardless, Guide >> Schedule catalogues everything that is scheduled to record, without having to go look for it.
Thankyou for your help.

Back