How easy to copy HDD contents to new, larger HDD

Nope, don't get that message. I did try a memory stick I've used before and that's recognised.

Just a thought but could I use a SATA to USB adaptor 'cos I think I have one of those kicking about.

Anyway, when you say something is wrong does that mean the caddy might be faulty?

Yes guessing the caddy must be faulty. Yes you can use a Sata to USB converter, one of these works with the Foxsat (Very handy you can connect virtually any drive using it)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SANDBERG-All-In-1-Inches-Connection-Externally/dp/B000ZX9COM

Thanks to Trev and Graham but my neighbour who works in IT has examined the old hard drive and noticed evidence of burning.... He thinks the caddy may have burned out a diode. However, he also thinks the data is probably fine. Just means I need to buy an equivalent HDD and swap over the circuit board (if that's what you call the green plate on the reverse side from the side with the warranty on it.)

God, why couldn't this be as straightforward as it seems when you read about it online?!:(

Buy a hard drive

The first step is to buy a suitable hard drive. Currently the Samsung F4EG 2TB and Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB drives have been confirmed as working. Both of these drives have the new 4K sectors (advanced format) and so I do not anticipate problems with any other similar hard drives. It is unlikely that the larger 3TB drives will work as they will require the new GPT partition table which isn't compatible with the Humax. These drives are "green" meaning they spin slower and use less power which is good for a PVR.
Scan.co.uk: 2TB Samsung SpinPoint EcoGreen Hard Drive - HD204UI/Z4Scan.co.uk: 2TB (2000 GB) Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive - HDD - WD20EARS

FYI, both of these are dead links now.

Back