How Old?

BrianVT

I went to Argos this morning and bought a HDR-FOX T2. I've just opened the box and found it rvery roughly packed, making me suspect that it someone's return. That started me wondering when this item was manufactured, particularly when the box states "TV Portal: available in October 2010".
The recorder's serial number is 63710511301336 - can anyone use this to estimate its age?
I'm new to Humax and havn't yet set up the recorder but this group was a major reason for my choice of this model.

Argos? Could easily be somebody's return. Either take it back yourself under their no-quibble policy and buy one somewhere else (Richer Sounds comes recommended), or set it up and go through it with a fine toothed comb to see whether you need to reject it.

Argos? Could easily be somebody's return. Either take it back yourself under their no-quibble policy and buy one somewhere else (Richer Sounds comes recommended), or set it up and go through it with a fine toothed comb to see whether you need to reject it.
Many thanks for your reply. Very tempted to take it back to Argos, but they say that recorders are exempt from their 30 day return policy - so, it would have to be faulty.
Have now set it up and see that it is Version a7.31 - does that throw more light on it? I've already noted that the
non-HD picture is not quite as good as that coming from the TV's Freeview tuner - but possibly that's because the software needs updating? Your comments would be very welcome.

7.31 is the loader not the operating firmware. Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> Software Version = what? If it's 1.02.20 that's as good as you can expect, a few units were released with 1.02.26, and there is a 1.02.27 beta available for download (see HERE - click). However, the firmware won't make any difference to the output - check what settings you are on with the V-FORMAT button (my advice would be to set it to 1080i or 1080p).

If Argos won't take it back unless faulty, how could it be a return - unless it's faulty? I would still try to take it back on the basis that it has been out of the box and must have been a return accepted against their declared policy (difficult to prove though).

PS: I have asked the mods to move this topic to the HDR-FOX section of the forum, it isn't proper fare for the Hummy Arms.

7.31 is the loader not the operating firmware. Menu >> Settings >> System >> System Information >> Software Version = what? If it's 1.02.20 that's as good as you can expect, a few units were released with 1.02.26, and there is a 1.02.27 beta available for download (see HERE - click). However, the firmware won't make any difference to the output - check what settings you are on with the V-FORMAT button (my advice would be to set it to 1080i or 1080p).

If Argos won't take it back unless faulty, how could it be a return - unless it's faulty? I would still try to take it back on the basis that it has been out of the box and must have been a return accepted against their declared policy (difficult to prove though).
.Again many thanks - it is 1.02.20, so perhaps my fears are unfounded. I'll give it a few days and see how it settles down. I'm grateful for your help.

Am i reading the wrong info on my system - my software version says FHTCP 1.02.28 updated May 2012. Is this the latest software because no-one seems to mention anything later than 1.02.27.

1.02.28 is the latest official release, and there are quite a few mentions in various threads.

Back