How to decrypt with custom firmware - #2 Get HDR Mode

UserNo123xyz

I am surprised there isn't a thread on this as its (decryption of HD recordings) the only reason I've put custom firmware on my Humax.

The best info I have got how to do this is from a page titled "IMPORTANT: The Differences Between HD-FOX T2 and HDR-FOX T2"

That says to decrypy HD recording you do this:

1. Install the custom software (for which you also need the external drive - see 1);
2. Install virtual disk and HDR Mode

I am not able to find HDR Mode. On my Package Management screen its not listed as either Installed or Available or as an Update.

How do I get HRD Mode if its not listed?

Just in case you have not found it yet, you need the BootHDR package.

Edit: I have inserted the link to the thread that you were unable to post.

Personally, I use auto-unprotect package. This package will run a daemon on the Humax box that automatically decrypts everything. You never need to worry about decrypting again.

Just fire up the web interface and go to the packages section...

http://humax/pkg/index.shtml

Click on the "Available" tab and install the "auto-unprotect" package. You'll probably need to reboot your Humax box for the changes to take effect.

I end up copying to my PC using the web interface on ethernet rather than using USB.

Reactions: LDW
I am not able to find HDR Mode. On my Package Management screen its not listed as either Installed or Available or as an Update.

How do I get HRD Mode if its not listed?
You need to go into Settings

Advanced Settings >> Show development and advanced packages? = Yes

Personally, I use auto-unprotect package. This package will run a daemon on the Humax box that automatically decrypts everything. You never need to worry about decrypting again.
Auto-unprotect does not work on the HD-FOX T2 box
I think auto-unprotect does work on an HD-FOX, it just doesn't decrypt. Auto-unprotect causes HiDef recordings to be treated the same as StDef recordings, but as even StDef recordings will not be decrypted by any of the usual HDR-FOX methods you would be no further forward.

The information the OP requires is HERE (click).

I think auto-unprotect does work on an HD-FOX, it just doesn't decrypt. Auto-unprotect causes HiDef recordings to be treated the same as StDef recordings, but as even StDef recordings will not be decrypted by any of the usual HDR-FOX methods you would be no further forward.
I was aware of this, but thought that it would only confuse the situation more, so did not mention it.

Understood, but I think we need to hammer home the difference between protection and encryption.

If auto-unprotect does not work on an HD-FOX, I will have to correct my writings.

OK thanks but I am basically in the same position again. I have BootHRD, but now from the 'Definitive Guide' link (I have had to delete from the post as the anti spam filter was stopping me post):

This applies to HD-FOX only:

1. For HiDef ensure auto-unprotect is installed or use Foxy to clear protection (not necessary for StDef recordings)

Foxy is nowhere to be seen in the Packages and I do have Development and Advanced Packages turned On too. I have checked and double checked.

And how do you Run bootHDR? Best I can find going through the Humax (because I have absolutely no Idea what "run bootHDR"actually means) is a folder called "Trigger HDRMode" in USB-1/8ModSettings/ but there is nothing inside the folder.

So I tried putting the HDD (USB-1 above) on the laptop but the laptop can't even see the drive!

OK thanks but I am basically in the same position again. I have BootHRD, but now from the 'Definitive Guide' link (I have had to delete from the post as the anti spam filter was stopping me post):

This applies to HD-FOX only:

1. For HiDef ensure auto-unprotect is installed or use Foxy to clear protection (not necessary for StDef recordings)

Foxy is nowhere to be seen in the Packages and I do have Development and Advanced Packages turned On too. I have checked and double checked.

And how do you Run bootHDR? Best I can find going through the Humax (because I have absolutely no Idea what "run bootHDR"actually means) is a folder called "Trigger HDRMode" in USB-1/8ModSettings/ but there is nothing inside the folder.

So I tried putting the HDD (USB-1 above) on the laptop but the laptop can't even see the drive!
The method I use is to type "bootHDRmode" at the Telnet prompt as described here:

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Decrypt_recordings_on_the_HD-FOX_T2

Foxy needs to be installed on your computer.

The information is all available, but I prefer not to repeat it in lots of places so that it only has to be maintained in one place. The guide provides the method, you are supposed to do some background reading to find out the details!

Foxy is a PC utility, you will find it referenced in the INDEX (links available at the foot of every one of my posts). You would be better off with auto-unprotect (which is a package). Foxy was our first way in, and remains the only way to decrypt HiDef without using custom firmware (on an HDR-FOX), but is redundant with custom firmware installed.

All the packages are briefly explained in the WIKI, and there are links in the Wiki back to relevant discussion on the forum (type "forum links" into the Wiki search box at the top of the page). However, what you want is the Wiki section linked from the front page under "Customised Firmware.. Decrypt recordings on the HD-FOX T2" (you won't need to read past the heading "Manual installation").

THINGS EVERY... section 12 explains about Ext3 (the format used by the Humax).

I have something installed on the Humax packages called "tmenu" is that where the telnet prompt is? How to I get the telnet prompt / what does it look like?

When I boot (turn on?) the Humax all I see is the word HUMAX and a software version number. Then I get a TV signal..nothing software related to enter anything into.

You will need a telnet client installed on your computer. PuTTY seems to be a popular choice.

When I boot (turn on?) the Humax all I see is the word HUMAX and a software version number. Then I get a TV signal..nothing software related to enter anything into.

As is made clear in the CUSTOM FIRMWARE link, there is nothing to see on the TV screen!

You do not absolutely need Telnet to use HDR Mode, as is made clear in the Wiki entry referenced above. However, some people have reported it doesn't always work.

The information is all available, but I prefer not to repeat it in lots of places so that it only has to be maintained in one place. The guide provides the method, you are supposed to do some background reading to find out the details!.

Its alright saying that but the best article I could find told me CLEARLY to install HDR Mode..that isn't called HDR Mode; the Definative Guide told me to use Foxy along with other packages for the Humax giving the impression it was also a package for the Humax.

Other things, well, I had to just Google what Telnet was never mind actually use it. I posted this only the other day on a threaad about WD TV box vs Raspberry Pi "I read the HummyTV pages and all I see is "after installing the frantasticum you need to swizalivate your ffgpeg to bibbl by tastaculating the freeboid nozular after recompensating the durgeplank of the grotburger. The simply run a bifurcating lingholm zizzle piece through your DNLAsomething and the FFGYMPNUTTSWANG wizzle pop". "

It seems all second nature to you guys to me its a list of words I try to look into and then there are another three words to look into for every word I start with. It all becomes baffling. All I was looking for is some information to do one task explained easily enough so anyone could do it.

I thought decrypting would be easy but it seems too much to have to learn all these terms and what they mean and how one affects the other. When your learning to drive the instructor says 'That is the accelerator' and that is probably it, they don't describe it as a cable to a slide in a throttle body with a needle than fits inside a jet and when it lifts it opens the jet and the venturi effect pulls up petrol etc.

So far I'd have made little headway by reading things by myself. I'd still probably be looking for HDR Mode and Foxy.

I just though it would be easy.

You are lucky to be able to decrypt on a HD-FOX at all, and it is only easy once you learn how to use the facilities that have been created in spite of Humax. It is a much smoother experience on an HDR-FOX, too bad you bought the economy version.

I'll be blunt: we have put effort into this (many hundreds of hours), and I see no reason others who wish to benefit (for free) should not expect to put a little effort in themselves (by reading the info). Anyone wishing to embark on this kind of this kind of thing should at least read through the primers I have penned, specifically intended to ease the less technically minded into it. Post 2 in CUSTOM FIRMWARE points you at explanations of Telnet.

I just though it would be easy.
It is easy really. You seem to have installed auto-unprotect (corrected) and BootHDR.
You now have to find or install a telnet client on your Laptop.
When that is done enter the IP address of your HD into the CLI and connect. This should give you the Humax # prompt. Type "bootHDRmode" then press return. When the HD reboots you should see a green piechart.

Report back when you get that far.

Back