How to get trick play on NAS files

I've been playing with video files on my NAS box and watching them on the hummy. I found that .mp4 .mpg .rm .wmv all play but don't have any function other than play and stop.

Any tips on conversion to a format that performs better?
Better still any freeware software to do it?

While you're at it, my wife wants the moon...

Cheers,

Bob.

If you are streaming them to the Humax DLNA client, there won't be much you can do about transport control. On the other hand, if you have used the custom software to mount the NAS network share as a virtual USB drive, you can try adding the sidecar files that keep track of playback position etc using Raydon's AV2HDR-T2 program to reconstruct them.

Even without sidecar files, playing back media "locally" provides more facilities than by DLNA.

If you are streaming them to the Humax DLNA client, there won't be much you can do about transport control. On the other hand, if you have used the custom software to mount the NAS network share as a virtual USB drive, you can try adding the sidecar files that keep track of playback position etc using Raydon's AV2HDR-T2 program to reconstruct them.

Even without sidecar files, playing back media "locally" provides more facilities than by DLNA.
Thanks for that. I take it that installing the custom software and setting up a vitual USB drive qalifies as sufficient to play back "locally"?

I've only had the unit since February so I'm a little reluctant to even upgrade to software version 27 (I'm still on 20) and even more nervous of installing 3rd party software. Am I being over cautious , paranoid? Thoughts?

Bob.

Thanks for that. I take it that installing the custom software and setting up a vitual USB drive qalifies as sufficient to play back "locally"?

I've only had the unit since February so I'm a little reluctant to even upgrade to software version 27 (I'm still on 20) and even more nervous of installing 3rd party software. Am I being over cautious , paranoid? Thoughts?

Bob.

Yes, the virtual USB isn't really local but it treated as local. As far being cautious / paranoid it depends on what is worrying you, If it is safety loading the Custom Firmware, it is no more risky than loading an official version of firmware and we have never had a 'bricked' e.g. unuseable Humax as a result, the main failure (together with the official Firmware) is of the Humax not 'seeing' the new firmware due to the unit not liking the USB Flash stick being used. If your concern is having to return the unit back to Humax, this has also been covered, as long as it is still possible to access the Humax (Via Telnet) it is possible to 'clean-up' the Hard Disk Drive to remove the Custom Firmware prior to sending the unit back. So that only really leaves the case of a 'Customised unit' that completely dies due to say a power supply failure where the unit would need be sent back with Customised Firmware in place, this has never been reported either, but it is likely that Humax would re-format the hard Disk drive prior to supplying it to a new customer, e.g. your replacement unit would not be the same one you sent to them

Thanks to both of you for your help and advice.

I'll upgrade to 27 some time this week and then think about the Custom software.

Bob.

Back