How to record ITV hub programs onto FVP 5000T?

Tim R

Can anyone tell me how to record a program on iTV Hub onto my FVP 5000T? I'm new to this stuff. :)

On-demand stuff is available for streaming, not recording.

Sky boxes are able to download on-demand content for later viewing, but I'm pretty sure they enforce the same DRM as the original streamed content as if it were being streamed at the time of playback.

Wow, thank you for such a quick reply! That is a shame. The new series (His Dark Materials) started 3 weeks ago and I set Humax to 'record whole series' but somehow only 2&3 were recorded so I hoped I could now record number 1 as it's available on itv hub.
Could I play number 1 via itv hub and press the record button on the Humax remote? Would that work? (I don't want to watch series 2 before I have watched series 1 on catchup)

Why would His Dark Materials be on ITV Hub? BBC iPlayer or BritBox maybe, but not ITV Hub.

Could I play number 1 via itv hub and press the record button on the Humax remote? Would that work?
No, I'm sure it wouldn't.

What you could do is extract programmes from iPlayer using your PC and a utility such as get_iplayer or youtube-dl.

I don't want to watch series 2 before I have watched series 1 on catchup
No, you definitely don't want to do that.

FWIW: I think the TV adaptation of His Dark Materials is confused. It mixes elements from all the books into each series instead of letting each book play out, possibly to create continuity which wasn't in the books. The Golden Compass movie adaptation is worse - I don't think anyone unfamiliar with the books would have a clue.

Oops - you are right of course. It is on BBC. (I told you I was new to all this! It is my first smart tv and new).
I've never heard of get_iplayer. I will look into that.

I'll be interested to see how they do it. I enjoyed the books and they could be difficult to produce on screen. So much of the imagery is in the imagination and that is so personal.
Thank you again for being so quick and helpful.

You can download iPlayer content (for a limited time) to your PC, there's no need for get_iplayer unless you plan to keep it longer.

You can download iPlayer content (for a limited time) to your PC, there's no need for get_iplayer unless you plan to keep it longer.
I presume you mean using the BBC iPlayer app (ditto on iOS and Android)? That's fine, so long as you only want to play downloads through the iPlayer app (and are happy for downloads to expire at the same time as they do on iPlayer). get_iplayer also attempts to enforce the DRM, but is easily circumvented.

The point of recordings is to be able to store them up for when you want to watch them, not have them vanish within a month. If you miss a recording, download is an alternative: get_iplayer can be circumvented, and youtube-dl does not have DRM.

Thank you Luke. I didn't know that. I was concerned that it might disappear without warning.
Is there a way one can tell how long these things will be available? As I said, I am new to the world of smart TV! (yes really :) )

Is there a way one can tell how long these things will be available?
It is announced on the iPlayer listing for the programme in question. The general pattern seems to be 28 days from transmission, but longer for BBC-owned landmark stuff, and previously expired content is often resurrected to support a new series. Sometimes imports are not available on iPlayer at all, it depends on the rights the content owner is prepared to allow.

I am less familiar with TV, but many Radio 4 programmes are made available for download permanently (eg "In Our Time").

Is there a way one can tell how long these things will be available?
That is why I posted the picture. I hadn't realised that the picture I posted was so small. I have a very large screen. Picture now improved by Ezra Pound with a red circle around the message in the IPlayer example.

Programmes for ITV Hub All4 and My5 are similar but I do find that ITV Hub and My5 don't always say. ITV Hub can show the expiry for a programme one minute and then a few minutes later it doesn't.

The general pattern seems to be 28 days from transmission, but longer for BBC-owned landmark stuff, and previously expired content is often resurrected to support a new series. Sometimes imports are not available on iPlayer at all, it depends on the rights the content owner is prepared to allow.
These days there are many "imports" that have more than 28 days from transmission. I can't provide a link but there have been reports of the BBC apparently pushing very hard to gain extended rights for the no further payment, with the implication that 3rd parties sometimes feel obliged to agree for extended use or lose the business.

Last edited:
Back