How to run diagnostic

Sargan

My Humax tody had lost many of its recording (in the display) and no thumbnails.
I rebooted and it has recovered.
I thought I had better take a look but could not access WEB i/f for a few Hrs ... kept getting ERROR 500 though I could ping the Humax OK
(I guess this could be unrelated to my box)
This afternoon web i/f now working again ... so thought I ought to look at its health ...

Rebooted Box into Maintenance mode
Under diagnostics where can I find a list of diagnostic options? ....... on screen it only has 'Diag'
I went to the Wiki page It lists Fdisk options but nothing for Diag options ?

Welcome some advice on what I should be doing for a health check.

Last edited:
I acknowledged errors
5 . reallocated sectors
20. airflow_temperature_cel
Then Run fixdisk -y the output is attached could someone advise if I need to do anything

Attachments

• output.pdf
    391.3 KB · Views: 11
The 'In the Past' air flow in line 190 is not a problem, it only indicates that your Humax has reached 58 Deg. C, the temperature at which the fan turns on, this is normal operation

Attributes 197 and 198 have a value of 26; they should be zero. Try running fix-disk again and see if that fixes the problem.

Run it again got the message "LBA has not been found"
Long test required ..... I have started that off ..... what does that message mean , I don't know what LBA is

Run it again got the message "LBA has not been found"
Long test required ..... I have started that off ..... what does that message mean , I don't know what LBA is
Are you sure the message wasn't "LBA0 has not been found"? LBA0 contains critical information for the operation of the drive, and a drive with a faulty LBA0 is probably destined for the scrap heap.

LBA = Logical Block Address, and is the modern equivalent of disk sectors. By using "logical" (ie virtual) addressing for locations on the disk instead of absolute addressing, the drive controller can swap out bad sectors just by changing the sector any particular LBA points at.

So whereas in the old days the operating system might have asked for the contents of surface 3, track 206, sector 29, now it simply asks for the contents of LBA 23659 (or whatever) which the drive itself translates to a surface, track, and sector reference according to its lookup table. Much easier; the OS doesn't need to know the layout of the drive; and instead of the OS having to take account of bad sectors, the defects have been mapped out at manufacturing time (it is a practical impossibility to make a drive with no defects, so a 1TB drive might be actually 1.2TB with 1TB of mapped space and a 0.2TB pool of spare sectors for redundancy).

So, a message that a particular LBA has not been found implies that the drive's lookup table has no translation logged in it to map the LBA to a physical sector. If the message actually said "faulty" the sector in question has been flagged as having not read back properly (the checksum was incorrect), which would normally result in that sector being replaced by one from the pool of spare sectors in the LBA lookup. This "reallocation" (or self-repair) process fails when the drive runs out of spare sectors. Reallocation is reported in the SMART stats, and is normal - but a high rate of reallocation indicates a drive which is failing. The fix-disk process forces the drive to resolve any pending reallocations.

LBA0 is a special case, equivalent to sector 0 in the old scheme. It contains the parameters the OS needs to make sense of the drive, and (I think) isn't relocatable. Therefore, if LBA0 dies, the drive dies. * Maybe not - see later.

(Yes, I do know maybe I should be talking about clusters instead of sectors in places, but that's a complication too far.)

Last edited:
Here are results of Diak Diag after the Long test.
That looks much better. The reallocated sector count has increased significantly. Keep an eye on it because if it is increasing by a few sectors a day on a regular basis then that will be sign that the hard drive will need to be replaced; if its stays constant then all is well.

Is there a recommended HDD to use ? ... I recall discussion earlier in year that HDD had been discontinued.

LBA0 is a special case, equivalent to sector 0 in the old scheme. It contains the parameters the OS needs to make sense of the drive, and (I think) isn't relocatable.
I don't see why it's special or not relocatable. The disk doesn't care what data any particular OS sticks in that sector (or any other sector for that matter). OK, PCs use it for a boot sector/partition table, as a convention. So what?

Back