How to run opkg update

Dave W

My foxsat custom software can't download packages, even though I can see them directly via my browser. After a failure it says "wget: bad address 'hpkg.tv' ", then lower down "Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?". How do I do this?

Telnet into the foxsat and enter on the command line, note this was carried out on an HDR Fox T2 :-
Code:
Humax1# opkg update
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/base/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/base.
Downloading http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/beta/Packages.gz.
Inflating http://hpkg.tv/hdrfoxt2/beta/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /mod/var/opkg/beta.
Humax1#

My foxsat custom software can't download packages, even though I can see them directly via my browser. After a failure it says "wget: bad address 'hpkg.tv' ", then lower down "Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?". How do I do this?
Forget that (it's a stupid message) and fix your DNS or Gateway on the device.

When I enabled DHCP I could no longer communicate with it on 192.168.1.103 which I gave it manually.

That is indeed a likely outcome; by DHCP the router will have provided the correct details for DNS and gateway, but also assigned an IP address from its DHCP pool. You can either use the new IP address (as seen in the settings) or go back to manual and configure your own IP address (avoiding conflicts, obviously). Having gone via DHCP and back to manual, at least the DNS and gateway details will have been set correctly.

For more information, see Configuring IP Address (click). That post is for HDR-FOX, but the principles are common.

When I enabled DHCP I could no longer communicate with it on 192.168.1.103 which I gave it manually.
If you set the IP address manually, what did you manually set the Subnet mask and Gateway to?
From what address are you trying to talk to it?
Ask the DHCP server what address it has given to the device.

There are 4 things you need to make a network work properly: IP address, Subnet mask, Gateway address, DNS address.
So what are these values in use on your network? Gateway will be your router, which is probably also the DHCP server.

Last edited:
I have not (yet) seen what addresses DHCP would produce, but for the manual setup I used the router address for both Gateway and DNS, which I use to connect my laptop to the router and internet. Are you saying that the Foxsat might end up with different Gateway and DNS addresses? Would my laptop still be able to access the internet?

I did try changing the Foxsat DNS address to the same one my router says it's connected to, but that didn't work, unsurprisingly as the address is too different to be part of my network.

I did try changing the Foxsat DNS address to the same one my router says it's connected to, but that didn't work, unsurprisingly as the address is too different to be part of my network.
In my experience, the DNS server address doesn't need to be on the local network.

for the manual setup I used the router address for both Gateway and DNS, which I use to connect my laptop to the router and internet. Are you saying that the Foxsat might end up with different Gateway and DNS addresses?
That should work then. The fact that it doesn't points to a typo. somewhere perhaps, but you need to provide the info.
Would my laptop still be able to access the internet?
Of course. You're not changing anything on the laptop.
I did try changing the Foxsat DNS address to the same one my router says it's connected to, but that didn't work,
That would point to either the gateway or the subnet mask then.
unsurprisingly as the address is too different to be part of my network.
It doesn't need to be, fairly obviously, although it can be if ,for example, your router provides such a service (most do), but you are not compelled to use it.
How do you think your router communicates with the DNS - that isn't on its network.

Thanks gents - everything is now working and I was able to download two packages.

What I should have told you is that I normally have the Humax connected by cable to my laptop which is connected by wifi to my router. When I set DHCP on the Humax I could no longer access it via the laptop, and my router only shows a connection to the laptop. So I connected the Humax directly to the router via the ethernet cable. (There is no satellite socket near the router). Now the Humax showed up on the router, and its address was still 192.168.1.103 so I could see it on the laptop and do the downloads. I then brought the Humax back to its normal location. On its DHCP page it showed no addresses, but when I set it to manual, I noticed that the Gateway and DNS addresses were now 192.168.1.154, not 192.168.1.254 which is how I communicate with the hub. For interest I tried to see if my browser would connect to 154 but it wouldn't.

Back