how to stream live TV

marada

I have just purchased a Humax HDR-FOX T2 and wondered if it was possible with custom firmware to stream live TV from the Humax to a computer on my same home network e.g. laptop in a bedroom. I know I can stream recorded programs but what about live TV? This would be similar to a slingbox function but I only want to stream to computers on my network at home and not when out of the house.

Thats a real shame, do you think there will ever be custom firmware that get round this problem or a hack that someone develops?

On another note does anyone know of any other DVR that would have this function and also have some of the functions of the HDR-FOX T2 such as recording and decrypting HD with custom firmware

Thats a real shame, do you think there will ever be custom firmware that get round this problem or a hack that someone develops?
Probably not, because of the encryption problem. If a hack were found that could disable encryption entirely, then we could be in business (but it does not seem likely after this long).

On another note does anyone know of any other DVR that would have this function and also have some of the functions of the HDR-FOX T2 such as recording and decrypting HD with custom firmware
IIRC the Foxsat-HDR uses an unencrypted 0.ts file, if you were prepared to go satellite (see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/accessing-0-ts-remotely.2392/page-2#post-30167). You need to bear in mind that accessing the 0.ts (ie the live buffer), whether on the Foxsat or a hacked HDR-FOX, is never likely to be seamless - it is a circular buffer, so whatever you use to play it needs to understand the properties of a circular buffer rather than the normal "start at the beginning and end at the end".

However, there are DVB-T receivers which do nothing but provide a live stream to the home network:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_broadway.html

I still recommend simply using the existing streamed TV services.

Last edited:
Probably not, because of the encryption problem. If a hack were found that could disable encryption entirely, then we could be in business (but it does not seem likely after this long).

IIRC the Foxsat-HDR uses an unencrypted 0.ts file, if you were prepared to go satellite (see http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/accessing-0-ts-remotely.2392/page-2#post-30167). You need to bear in mind that accessing the 0.ts (ie the live buffer), whether on the Foxsat or a hacked HDR-FOX, is never likely to be seamless - it is a circular buffer, so whatever you use to play it needs to understand the properties of a circular buffer rather than the normal "start at the beginning and end at the end".

However, there are DVB-T receivers which do nothing but provide a live stream to the home network:

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/products/data_broadway.html

I still recommend simply using the existing streamed TV services.

You can also stream a recording using a foxsat-hdr (in effect in chasing playback by simply pressing the record button) about 30 seconds behind real time (in effect in chasing playback by simply pressing the record button) without bothering with the time shift buffer file. This includes HD if nowsters patch is installed.

You could use a scart to RF converter on the back of the humax. This would use the humax scart output to send, whatever the humax was playing, as an analogue 625 line picture along the aerial cable. So TG has to be able to handle the old analogue stuff and Hummy must be playing what you want to watch - just like with swing box standard def.
The Hummy downgrades both StdDef and HighDef on the Scart socket automatically.

It's somewhat primitive and needs careful setting up but how desperate are you?

I'm only raising it as an option, I'm not pushing it as a great solution ...

You could use a scart to RF converter on the back of the humax. This would use the humax scart output to send, whatever the humax was playing, as an analogue 625 line picture along the aerial cable. So TG has to be able to handle the old analogue stuff and Hummy must be playing what you want to watch - just like with swing box standard def.
The Hummy downgrades both StdDef and HighDef on the Scart socket automatically.

It's somewhat primitive and needs careful setting up but how desperate are you?

I'm only raising it as an option, I'm not pushing it as a great solution ...

If he can run a coax he could stick a freeview box on the end of it and watch whatever he wants live.

You can also stream a recording using a foxsat-hdr (in effect in chasing playback by simply pressing the record button) about 30 seconds behind real time (in effect in chasing playback by simply pressing the record button) without bothering with the time shift buffer file. This includes HD if nowsters patch is installed.
Indeed, and the lack of an equivalent patch for HDR-FOX is what prevents the same (HiDef or StDef). Not an unattended operation though, instant record terminates at the end of the current programme.

All these are interesting technical exercises, but hardly comparable with a dedicated solution.

And mostly not compatible with piping TV down a network to a lappy.

Indeed, and the lack of an equivalent patch for HDR-FOX is what prevents the same (HiDef or StDef). Not an unattended operation though, instant record terminates at the end of the current programme.

All these are interesting technical exercises, but hardly comparable with a dedicated solution.
The instant recording can be started remotely using the CF remote control and extended beyond the current programme by pressing record a second time.

The point I was (apparently unsuccessfully) trying to make is that a dedicated TV streamer will simply provide live streamed video, without any further intervention. If one is keen on having such a service (and for whatever reason cannot accept the Internet streamed services - maybe the desired service is not available or the broadband connection is not fast enough or capped), spending £40-£60 on a purpose-designed hardware unit which is fit-and-forget seems like a good deal.

I have seen a few posts mentioning the Hauppauge Broadway. From what I can see it seems a good option since to can record unencrypted and stream live TV over the network. It also supports DNLA (beta) and I suppose I could even use it the a HDMI wifi dongle to even view the stream on a regular TV. So given all these features, what benefit if any does the HD-Fox have over it?

Do you really mean HD-FOX?

What advantage does a HDR-FOX have... hmmm. 500GB recording drive? HiDef? Specifically designed for PVR use rather than TV streaming with PVR functions bolted on? Customised firmware community? Known wrinkles and work-arounds?

I (and since I have never seen a single other mention of it on this forum, presumably nobody else here) have any experience of the Broadway and cannot offer any opinion of it. If you fancy it, suck it and see.

I have seen a few posts mentioning the Hauppauge Broadway. From what I can see it seems a good option since to can record unencrypted and stream live TV over the network. It also supports DNLA (beta) and I suppose I could even use it the a HDMI wifi dongle to even view the stream on a regular TV. So given all these features, what benefit if any does the HD-Fox have over it?

How about this option ?

http://www.vboxcomm.com/uk-freeview-and-freesat.html

Back