How to switch on Accurate Recording

aesmith

Hi,
Sorry if this is a basic question, I haven't found the explicit answer in either the manual or on the forums. With the HDR-FOX-T2, is Accurate Recording enabled by default, if padding is set to 0 and 0? That's how mine's set, and the first few recordings have all missed the end, with a couple missing at bit off the beginning as well.
Firmware 1.03.12, all recordings created from the EPG selecting the "Record Series" option. BBC 1 Scotland HD and STV HD.
Another quick one, if I set padding, as it appears I'll have to, does that mess up series recording and other Freeview+ features?
Thanks,
Tony S

if padding is set to 0 and 0?
Yes.
But please note that if the padding settings are toggled on then off again all your existing schedule will need to be set up again, as AR will have been removed from the existing schedule entries.

Another quick one, if I set padding, as it appears I'll have to, does that mess up series recording and other Freeview+ features?
No, the HDR-FOX T2 will still track episodes within a series.

Thanks everyone. The notes don't explicitly say that AR is enabled by default, but I suppose I should have worked that out when I couldn't find an option to switch it on or off. I just thought it was worth asking on the offchance, because my early experience says that it doesn't work and the only way to be sure of getting the full program is going to be to enable padding. Are some channels reliable for AR? I've installed the custom software so I can try it on a channel by channel basis.

Meanwhile better set padding, the new box won't be popular with certain people if it misses the start or finish of Downton Abbey (STV HD)!

The CFW is the way to go.
I have all the C5 group (5, +1, +24, 5USA, 5*) set to use padding (1m before, 2m after) and also Drama I think, as these channels don't seem to use AR. There are probably other minor channels that are the same but I've not recorded much if anything from them.
Everything else is generally pretty good on the AR, though I've noticed lately that ITV1 HD has been clipping off before the end titles have finished.

I have all the C5 group (5, +1, +24, 5USA, 5*) set to use padding (1m before, 2m after) and also Drama I think, as these channels don't seem to use AR.
Have you tried 5 and 5+1 since April 2013? There were reports of 5 and 5+1 switching on AR during March and April 2013 for various transmitters. I don't record 5+1 but AR for 5 has been working for me since March 2013.
To Drama you can add Yesterday. Curiously Really does use AR.

Are some channels reliable for AR?
Channels that do not use AR at all include all Radio channels (as well as Drama and Yesterday) I don't record and have not recently experimented with 5*, 5USA or 5+24 and so can not comment on those apart from: when 5 switched on AR for 5 and 5+1 in spring last year they did not switch on AR for 5* or 5USA.

Edit: There is a report on DS (from a very reliable poster) that 5* went AR in the summer of 2013 from the Tacolneston transmitter.

Last edited:
Thanks. We're served by a relay, so only have Muxes 1, 2 and HD in any case. Mind you that's plenty, when we first got Freeview our Group A aerial would only receive 1 and 2 even though we could access the main transmitter back then. Anyway I guess I'll be hanging out in the Customer Firmware forum from now on, already got the firmware installed, setting up the remote schedule package etc.

Have you tried 5 and 5+1 since April 2013? There were reports of 5 and 5+1 switching on AR during March and April 2013 for various transmitters. I don't record 5+1 but AR for 5 has been working for me since March 2013.
To Drama you can add Yesterday. Curiously Really does use AR.
Hm. I don't know when I last tried AR on 5. I wouldn't have thought it was as far back as early 2013, but it's not impossible. It was general advice on here that made me put it to padding and subsequently add the rest of the 5 family. I'm a little loath to change something that is working well for us at present (5 doesn't generally seem to shunt programmes around like some other broadcasters are prone to do - yes Auntie, I'm looking at you), but perhaps I'll give it a try.
Thanks for the Yesterday tip - we do record that occasionally.

Back