How To Transfer Files To and From the HDR-FOX T2

makem

Does the below apply to the HDR Fox T2? (Taken from How To Transfer Files To and From HD/HDR Fox)

snip>
The result is that the file system can be viewed and manipulated from within Windows (or other operating systems) using the native file manager

For access from a Windows computer, on the HD/HDR-FOX install the samba package. This provides SMB networking. A modification to one of the configuration files is also required, without which access is limited to the media folders. This can be done using the file editor in the WebIF Diagnostics page (without having to worry about line ends):
snip>

If so, which modification file?

I am not able to access both boxes at all using xubuntu file manager and have samba installed.

Error Message:
Failed to open "HOME".
Failed to retrieve share list from server: Connection timed out.

I have two HDR-FOX T2 boxes. I was unable to access either. One had the workgroup set to HOME which is the name of my linux LAN workgroup. I set it to WORKGROUP and was able to access it (Since the above posts).

The other box had the workgroup set to WORKGROUP but I still cannot access it.

I am confused as I thought, "Ah it needs a WORKGROUP workgroup to get access". But that cannot be true as shown by the other box already set as such.

My ASUS RT-AC68U had a workgroup of WORKGROUP and changing it to HOME locked me out of the LAN.

My xubuntu workgroup is set to HOME. My dual booted Winblows 10 also has HOME as a workgroup and performs normally.

I am wondering if every setting must be WORKGROUP!

Access via FTP is fine.

(Time for dinner first)

As far as I know, everything in a 'Windows' workgroup should have the same workgroup name. Sometimes it seems to matter and others it doesn't

As far as I know, everything in a 'Windows' workgroup should have the same workgroup name. Sometimes it seems to matter and others it doesn't

But from Linux, although I have a Windows install as it is inactive, it has no bearing on my LAN group I thought. I agree, all machines on the same LAN should have the same domain name and they always have. I am sure it always worked in the past so suspect there is some other setting problem.

I will try setting the xubuntu to WORKGROUP and see what effect that has. The samba instructions say you can use any name as long as it is consistent throughout.

EDIT: No effect, can access one box but not the other. Must be something else.

This Samba/Linux incompatibility has been mentioned many times before. Pi55ing about with settings is only going to waste your time, so don't bother.

Back