Humax 1000S failing to boot

digitl

I've found the box has frozen a few times recently but it has rebooted OK.

Now it's failing to boot at various stages in the sequence. Some times it will stick with a blank screen and 'Starting' showing on the front panel, sometimes with the Freesat and Humax logo on screen.

When it does actually boot completely it will run for a couple of minutes before the picture shows vertical(ish) lines across it and then freezes.

Anyone any ideas?

...and it's booted fine with no HD.

HD faulty? It's a 1TB Seagate Pipeline.

If it is the HD, is it worth replacing it, or is it worth replacing the box with a newer model? If so, which one?

Thanks! That's the question I didn't ask, but should have: WD or Seagate? I usually buy WD for my desktop and NASs.

The latest Humax (1100s?) seems to be only slightly different. Just the addition of wi-fi by the looks of it so a new HD (WD10EURX - 1TB is plenty big enough) would seem to be the more effective option. Unless I'm missing something obvious...

Sounds good to me, but there is the possibility that formatting the existing drive on a PC and then reinstalling (and getting the 1000S to format to its liking) will resurrect it. How long for is another matter, but there's nothing to lose in the trying.

The only concern that I would have about spending money on upgrading the hard drive is the fairly commonly reported problem of the box not being able to access the hard drive for extended periods. It is an odd problem that may be hardware (my inclination) or maybe software but Humax despite several promises haven't so far failed to resolve the problem. It is hard to know what percentage of boxes are affected but the main thread about the problem on MyHumax.org https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/hard-drive-issues has 414 posts at the moment NB the problem (in most cases) is not the hard drive which when tested is usually healthy. Your problem sounds different to this problem.

To to confuse matters, I plugged the HD back in and the box booted up fine and continues to run after 30 minutes.

Most likely dirty contacts on the data connector. The loss of the hard drive appears to be related to the use of the remote scheduling app and it's associated constant reboots. My HDR1000S was one of the first and had the new WD drive fitted a couple of weeks or so after getting it. So far touch wood I haven't had the problem.

After a lot of playing, I'm wondering if it's a motherboard issue. The box will boot most times with no drive attached, but will not boot (or will, and then freeze) with the original drive or a spare 500GB laptop drive I have kicking around.

There's nothing consistent.

Edit: I should have added that power is reaching the board as the Ethernet socket LEDs flash and the heatsink becomes hot.

Just to update this...

The box has accepted a spare drive but once it has gone into standby it will not reboot. Even without a drive installed, there are increasing problems with it booting (though it's more certain) and issues with the picture that mimic memory overwrites that I have seen on computers prior to them failing. With it plugged into my desktop, a scan of the original Pipeline drive has shown there to be no errors.

So, with 6% off Maplin purchases through TopCashBack (www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/digital - referral link), I'm replacing the box with an 1100S.

Back