Humax 1100S "Is this how it works"

cemhlm

Just acquired 1100S to replace EchoStar PVR, having tried it out, I am puzzled as to how pressing the STB or TV buttons work. After finding and entering the appropriate code for my Panasonic TV, I got confused how the RC worked. On my EchoStar PVR the RC controlled everything TV and PVR, I did not have to constantly press TV or PVR button to switch between options. I.E if I wanted to switch off the TV I just pressed the power button on the RC this switched off the TV but left the PVR running, on the Humax RC I have to press the TV button then the power button to switch off, if I do not press the TV button the RC will switch OFF the STB, leaving the TV on, until I then press the TV button then power button. This is noticeable when changing the volume settings. if the STB button has been pressed the RC will control the STB volume (vertical on the RH side of screen), like other posts the volume using this method HDMI is a joke at max it equates to about half that if I press the TV button on RC which then displays the TV volume on the Panny TV along the bottom of the screen.

Is there anyway to get the Humax RC to work like the EchoStar, or is pressing the TV or STB constantly a feature of the 1100s if so its a step back from how the EchoStar worked. Any advice would be much appreciated.

The Echostar remote has a feature called punchthrough that allows buttons like the volume to control the TV rather than the 1100S. The one you have doesn't have punchthrough, to control the TV functions you have to first press the TV button. Humax boxes work best if the box volume is set to near max and then the TV or Amplifier volume is used to set the volume level. Note if used with a TV turn off the surround sound option in the TV setup menu. If you don't there will be a marked difference in volume between HD and SD channels.

Ideally get a low end Harmony Remote, as you can set it up so that the Watch 1100S activity volume control controls the TV and not the box. It will also tun on the TV and Humax with a single button on and off and select the correct input for the 1100S on the TV when turning on.

eg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-H...qid=1474474597&sr=8-4&keywords=harmony+remote

Thanks for the reply Graham, your info clarifies my thoughts on how the Humax RC works, as regards the volume, I followed the suggestion in an earlier post and changed the sound settings in the Humax from Multi Channel to Stereo, this has made a big diff when using the Humax volume when in STB mode. Regarding using a Harmony RC, I can see how that may be OK, my main concern is how does the Harmony RC replicate for example the Recordings Button on the Humax RC, and other buttons that are unique to the Humax RC.

Thanks for the reply Graham, your info clarifies my thoughts on how the Humax RC works, as regards the volume, I followed the suggestion in an earlier post and changed the sound settings in the Humax from Multi Channel to Stereo, this has made a big diff when using the Humax volume when in STB mode. Regarding using a Harmony RC, I can see how that may be OK, my main concern is how does the Harmony RC replicate for example the Recordings Button on the Humax RC, and other buttons that are unique to the Humax RC.

You can assign virtually all buttons to any command in the command set you want. You set it up using the Harmony website which has a massive database for virtually any ir controlled device you can find. Some are also able to use the original remote to teach the harmony the required codes.

Back