Humax 5000T pile of crap

Guzzie

I bought the 5000T 2 years ago and despite doing all the tweaks suggested in this forum and by Humax they are kidding us on.

1 .Unstable tuners.
2.Terrible GUI and apps
3.Slow CPU and not enough memory.

I wish there was a better PVR as Humax dont seem to be able to fix this pile of crap.

I bought the 5000T 2 years ago and despite doing all the tweaks suggested in this forum and by Humax they are kidding us on.

1 .Unstable tuners.
Could you explain what you mean as I don't have any problems that seem tuner related.
2.Terrible GUI and apps
I agree the GUI isn't great but what really irritates me is that it doesn't behave in a consistent way. The player apps are Ok since the latest software update; do you use anything else?
I have never been able to decide whether the problem is that the CPU is under specified or the GUI is very inefficient but I agree the combination isn't great.
I wish there was a better PVR as Humax dont seem to be able to fix this pile of crap.
I suggest keeping an eye on the Manhattan T3-R which seems more popular with its users then the Humax FVP models and has a major new version of its software in development.

1 .Unstable tuners.
Could you explain what you mean as I don't have any problems that seem tuner related.
Neither do I. The nearest problem I have that could be tuner related is the difficulty sometimes to switch to a channel on COM7 or to retune COM7. But that same problem exists for me on a 2000T - so could be location or aerial problems not tuner.
2.Terrible GUI and apps
I don't use apps so can't comment. The GUI isn't that bad apart from the fact I can never remember the easiest way to get to what I want.
Certainly the box doesn't always respond quickly, but whether this is down to a bloated and badly programmed GUI, slow CPU or lack of memory I'm not sure.

I wonder if the "unstable tuners" suggestion relates to the fact that checking signal levels often only reveals results for one tuner, which is perfectly normal.

It only shows tuners which are actually being used and the other tuners are shut down at that time.

My tuners drop connection all the time I live across the river from Roseneath so no signal strength problems,I have fitted an attenuator as recommended same problems I have restored to factory and tuned frequencies manually.
I get the breakup and freezing on screen which does not happen to my LG TV.
When I set recordings I get no recording due to signal loss but mostly records with the usual intermittent breakup.
Lets face it Humax have a turkey on their hands would be great if it worked I am looking for an alternative.

I live across the river from Roseneath so no signal strength problems,I have fitted an attenuator as recommended same problems
Signal strength readings of 100% are not good news, this indicates the receiver could be over-driven. Aim for less than 100%. Signal quality is a better measure: if it is less than 100% or unstable you have a problem (and then the signal strength is an indication whether the signal is too great or too little).

get the breakup and freezing on screen which does not happen to my LG TV.
Just because you live across the river from the transmitter is no guarantee that you are tuned into it. You say you don't have signal strength problems. Have you checked? If you auto tuned the Humax there is a very good possibility that signals from other transmitters may be picked up in preference by the Humax.
Intermittent breakup suggests to me that you might have a poor signal from Darvel or Black Hill rather than Roseneath. If you haven't already done this, look up your location at https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management and see if this is a possibility. Check whether the freezing channels are being received from the correct transmitter.

I know the frequencies for the transmitter and I have other Freeview devices which don't have the problem its just the Humax 5000T there are enough users with the same problems. Stop suggesting the bleeding obvious and accept this box has design flaws. My previous Humax HDR FOX T2 worked fine.

Stop suggesting the bleeding obvious and accept this box has design flaws.
I am line of sight to a transmitter two miles away and I don't suffer the specific tuner problem you are reporting. What is the signal strength and quality reported by the FVP?

If I leave the attenuator off I get 87-100% I tried the attenuator as a few people suggested that there was too strong a signal did not help. I have reset the box to factory and manually tuned it as per Humax support still same problems. Tried passive and active aerials all the same. My LG TV connected to the same aerial works fine. I can stand at my front window and see Roseneath.
I accept its a Humax issue and probably best replaced.

I know the frequencies for the transmitter and I have other Freeview devices which don't have the problem its just the Humax 5000T there are enough users with the same problems. Stop suggesting the bleeding obvious and accept this box has design flaws. My previous Humax HDR FOX T2 worked fine.
I, like you, have had the 5000T for about two years and have been frequenting the forums regularly. Though there have been plenty of comments on the GUI, yours is the first complaint I have seen from anyone with breakup when having a strong (but not excessive) signal, so I think your argument that "there are enough users with the same problems" is flawed. Sounds like a single box with a rare fault.

If I leave the attenuator off I get 87-100% I tried the attenuator as a few people suggested that there was too strong a signal did not help.
So what signal strength and quality did you get too with the attenuator in the circuit?

That's fine, if you think you know everything and think that "87-100" down to "85" is not an improvement (whether it solved the problem or not), you can get on with it yourself.

Back