Humax 5000T pile of crap

about 85%
Not very much of a reduction then. What value was the attenuator? 3dB? Try a much bigger one, say 10dB, or 20dB, or a variable one. Is this just a simple aerial, or something fancy with loads of unnecessary amplification somewhere in the chain?
Don't rule out external interference either. Cable type, connector type and wall outlets all matter.

I bought the 5000T 2 years ago and despite doing all the tweaks suggested in this forum and by Humax they are kidding us on.

1 .Unstable tuners.
2.Terrible GUI and apps
3.Slow CPU and not enough memory.

I wish there was a better PVR as Humax dont seem to be able to fix this pile of crap.

Here I am in my tenement flat in Edinburgh with a soon to be 2 year old 5000T, communal aerial fell down in a storm a while ago,
trying to get everyone together to buy a new one didn't work out, so in the short term bought an indoor aerial from John Lewis
it is about the size of a smart phone and lies flat at the top of the lower sash window. It is directed to the Blackhill transmitter
between Glasgow and Edinburgh, distance about 35-40 miles. This Humax 5000T with its three tuners gets a great picture
on all HD and SD channels. The aerial services a Sony TV in the bedroom and then the signal is split with a run of cable
to the front where it is then split again to a 4k Sony TV and the Humax 5000T, all receive about 55-70% signal strength
and 90-100% signal quality.
So I can only surmise that there may well be a manufacturing fault in yours, is it still under warranty.

As for the GUI, well as with any GUI in any TV, DVD, Blu Ray, PVR AV Receiver computer etc etc we all think they could be improved.
I don't think it it is particularly bad, the manual could explain it a bit better because it does more things than you think it can.
I would agree that yes it could have been equipped with a faster processor and more RAM to make it a bit more slick.

So far in its 2 years with me it has been fine, disconnecting it from the mains power every so often if it feels a bit slower
can help to clear out any caches that may be causing it to slow up.

With its two year warranty running out on the 1st October that could be the cue for it to
start giving trouble.

Do you manually tune your box, so you are tuning to the transmitter with the best signal for you.

Do you manually tune your box, so you are tuning to the transmitter with the best signal for you.
That was the question a number of us posed - in a roundabout way. Never got a proper answer to that. As I said earlier, the problem described looks (to me) like a signal from the wrong transmitter.
With its two year warranty running out on the 1st October that could be the cue for it to
start giving trouble.
:rolling: You've spotted that as well. How do devices know that the warranty has just run out?

They contain a computer and you can program a computer to do pretty much anything. :frantic:

communal aerial fell down in a storm a while ago,
trying to get everyone together to buy a new one didn't work out
Surely you have a setup for maintenance of shared facilities without needing to get everyone's individual permission every time? That is just doomed to fail, every time.

They contain a computer and you can program a computer to do pretty much anything.
Thanks for the compliment, but I'm not that talented. :roflmao:
But how do they know whether you've got the bog standard one year warranty or registered for the two year one? Unless, of course, the damned device "'phones home" on first activation and at regular periods "just to check".

Surely you have a setup for maintenance of shared facilities without needing to get everyone's individual permission every time? That is just doomed to fail, every time.
The unusual thing about Edinburgh was that until recently the council provided limited services through the payment of Council Tax for shared stairs whether the properties involved were privately owned,
or rented. So factoring these services was not generally done, when they stopped that practice, tenants were supposed to get together to employ a private factoring service. That of course did not happen.
As for the communal aerial, I think some either put up there own or relied on freesat, sky, cable or streaming. I bought the indoor aerial in the short term, but the picture is so good I have just kept on with it.
In the meantime the council are putting up the council tax, reducing services, but very interestingly have so much money in the bank (or wherever they keep it) that they lend out money to other councils
throughout the UK, according to local press Edinburgh City Council are owed £300m in loans to other councils.

Back