Humax and Google TV

I've just got a Sony Google TV box and connected it between my TV and T2.
Everything seems OK apart from the sound on the HD channels isn't controlled by the remote (either the Humax or Google TV remote).
The sound blasts out, but trying turning it down just does nothing.
The volume bar appears on screen and moves down to 0 but the sounds stays the same.
Pressing the mute button DOES work interestingly, as does pressing TV on the humax remote and turning the volume down works too.

Does anyone know why it's happening and how to fix it?

The sound from the HD channels is controllable via the Humax remote control when connected by HDMI, but not via the optical output. It seems that some makes of TV's do not manage to work the same.

I've just got a Sony Google TV box and connected it between my TV and T2.
Everything seems OK apart from the sound on the HD channels isn't controlled by the remote (either the Humax or Google TV remote).
The sound blasts out, but trying turning it down just does nothing.
The volume bar appears on screen and moves down to 0 but the sounds stays the same.
Pressing the mute button DOES work interestingly, as does pressing TV on the humax remote and turning the volume down works too.

Does anyone know why it's happening and how to fix it?

I don't understand your set-up from all that, no idea what Google TV is all about.

Presuming you are talking about the HDMI feed from the HDR-FOX to the TV, some TVs fail to respond to a volume change out of the Humax when it is set to multichannel audio. We have found that changing the audio setting to stereo restores control.

In general however, it is better to set the Humax at or near full volume, and control it at the TV.

Sorry should have explained a bit better.
I used to have my humax box connected directly by a hdmi cable to the hdmi 1 port on my Panasonic TV, everything worked fine with regards to the sound from HD channels.
Google TV now sits between that so my humax box connects to the hdmi in port on the google tv box. There is also a hdmi cable from the hdmi out port on the google tv box to the hdmi 1 port on the tv.

The google tv basically overlays its menus on top of the feed it gets from hdmi in and displays it on the TV.

I always have the TV sounds set to about 50% and use the humax volume.

It doesn't use optical audio, although there is a port for it.

So it sounds like your Google TV box is causing your HD sound problem. Could you connect it to another HDMI port on your TV, and reconnect your Humax directly to the TV?

I always have the TV sounds set to about 50% and use the humax volume.

For the convenience of not having to change mode to TV presumably. There are only 20 levels available on the Humax, which isn't very fine control. Do you not notice any hiss in quiet bits? Oh well, each to his own.

We obviously can't account for what the Google box does to the HDMI, but if this effect is only happening on HiDef channels I'm pretty sure it's going to be the multichannel sound. Menu >> Settings >> Preferences >> Audio >> Digital Audio Output = Stereo.

I haven't noticed any hiss, although I'll probably notice it now you've mentioned it :).
I'll try the audio settings to see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Back