Humax box can't see my WHS 2008, but WHS 2008 can ping Humax box

RobertHeselwood

I have all my media files on a small home server, which consists of 2 desktops and 2 laptops all linked by a 8 port unmanaged switch which is linked to my Virginmedia superhub.

The Humax box can see the 2 desktops and 2 laptops, but not the home server.
I have checked the network connections, rebooted the server, but to no avail.

I have read some information on this site about using XBMC, but it won't install on the home server.

I have also rang Humax support on this matter but they couldn't help as they thought it was a sharing issue, and I have since checked that the media files folder is shared by everyone.

The said media folder is on a 2 disk Raid 1 setup, with WHS 2008 on a separate HD.

The Humax box can see the 2 desktops and 2 laptops, but not the home server.
What exactly are you trying to do? If using the standard firmware then the server needs to be running a DLNA server. If you want to mount a share from the server on the Humax then you need the custom firmware.

I would like to play media files, ie avi files, from the home server to the Humax box and view then on my tv. In other words stream them from the server to the tv.

So you could say I want to mount a share from the server on the Humax, and what do I need to do for that to happen.

I would like to play media files, ie avi files, from the home server to the Humax box and view then on my tv. In other words stream them from the server to the tv.

So you could say I want to mount a share from the server on the Humax, and what do I need to do for that to happen.
Post the question in the custom firmware section.

Thanks.

Just out of interest though, which would be the best option for what I want to do?

IE get the Humax box to connect to the home server by LAN, see the \WinShare folder and then the \Media folder, and then stream files from my server to or through the Humax box on to my Sony TV

You don't need to go "custom" if your media server has DLNA capability. Any server which claims to be a media server usually does have DLNA, but you might need to turn it on in the settings. See the entry for DLNA in the Glossary (click) for more explanation.

The point is that DLNA is the method the standard Humax uses to access networked media, and requires no input from the user because all devices conforming to the DLNA specification are able to search for each other across the network. However, due to a bug in the implementation, using the Humax to stream from a DLNA server is limited to 4GB in any file (this might be fixed in a future firmware release) - and this limitation might be sufficient reason to bypass the DLNA requirement using the custom software.

By installing the custom software, and then adding the Samba package, you will then be able to mount Windows-compatible network shares as if they were USB drives attached to the Humax. This bypasses the 4GB bug, bypasses the need for the external server to be DLNA compatible, and makes a wider range of media file types playable than would be by DLNA.

NEW READERS START HERE (click)

It isn't specifically a media server I have, as it is also used to store other non media files.

As I said, the server is WHS2008 withSP1, and I can't see that DLNA is included or can be added.
So I'm stuck at the moment.

Further to Black Holes info above, and having tried using the DLNA method and discovered it's many shortcomings (4gb limit bug as mentioned, tiresome navigation through the indexed folder structure and not directly through the folder tree on the disk, limited file format support, no way to move files onto the NAS directly from the Hummy, and no way for the Hummy 'Resume' function to work because it can't write the sidecar file back via DLNA) I can recommend the Samba solution very highly as it resolves all of the issues I've just listed. And it kind of keeps media navigation all in one place under the 'USB' option when you press Media>Storage - when SWMBO wanted to find stuff for the kids I'd moved off the Hummy disk there were constant confusions about whether it was on the HDD or the NAS, and if it was on the NAS why were the files hidden away in "Video>All Video then cancel that because All Video scanned the entire disk for recorded video and Cybershot video clips so then back to Video>Folders>Video>Kids> blah blah - arduous to read? It was arduous to do!!!

Come over to the customised side, regret it you will not!! :)

To avoid repetition, please look at the help already available and then we'll help you out when you get stuck. All "custom" conversation needs to be in the Custom Firmware forum. Once you have the custom firmware installed, check out the Wiki for details of installing and configuring the Samba package and then the relevant forum topic for discussion (via the Index).

Custom Firmware/Software Forum (click)
NEW READERS START HERE (click)
QUICK START GUIDE (click)

Well then only thing I could find on wiki about Samba, was a couple of lines saying what it is and what it does.

I have also done a google search on how to configure Samba on a Humax FOX HDR T2 box, but could not find anything specific.

Thanks anyway

Back