Humax can be difficult to use

The supply on eBay is drying up too now. Still a few listed but the ones in better condition don't go cheaply. Those new ones Maplins sold a few months ago for £85 seem like a real bargain now (sorry prpr).
Should have bought the whole lot!
Anyway, I secured quite a good used one for about £85 off eBay, as the next best option. Got an HD for £16 as well, which I thought was excellent as they usually went for quite a bit more than that.

Wow! You did do well. I saw them going for much more than that a while ago, things might have changed.

The supply on eBay is drying up too now. Still a few listed but the ones in better condition don't go cheaply. Those new ones Maplins sold a few months ago for £85 seem like a real bargain now (sorry prpr).

Rather like the Squeezebox range. When Logitech discontinued it, the second hand price went up.

If they were charging £319 in the last 12 months for those, it's not surprising they've got lots left. Or they could just be making it up of course.

It also says
* Price comparisons are against products sold by Shop Direct Group’s Littlewoods brand in the last 12 months.
So presumably they are comparing with a new price from elsewhere. Is this naughty? I don't know.

I've ordered one. Not the stonking value the Maplin £85 ones were, but this is about what you'd expect to pay Humax for a Grade A one.

I have three family members using HDR Fox T2 and they all love them. If this one is OK I have enough stockpile to replace each of their boxes once. On top of them loving the box, the thought of retraining my elderly aunt to use a different box again makes me shudder (it was bad enough converting her from a Pace Twin).

If I might respond to the original post about an inferior UI on Humax V the Topfield. I bought my Humax some years ago when my Topfield power supply *inevitably* failed. My wife badly missed the Toppy interface. I adapted far more quickly to it. A good user interface isn't everything.

I immediately realised the HDR-Fox T2 provides so much better a package. The added benefits of real networking (exporting recordings was a drag, to say the least on the Toppy), dwarves any UI concerns. Additionally it's far faster hardware. The Topfield really was sluggish, and it provides High Definition tuning. The cherries and sprinkles on top are the ease of adding extra packages, and remote administration, that the home-brewed firmware, which is an unreserved reccomendation and the talented people on here.

I suspect my next purchase will be PC based. It's difficult to envisage a consumer box with as great a raft of features and potential.

Last edited:
Managed to bag myself a new 1TB version for £130 and have just put the customised firmware on it tonight - time to play! :cool:

The HDR Fox T2 I got from the link in this thread is fine so far, it's my first box with the vertical tuners (which is a bit annoying, I'd like them all the same).

However the remote control is wrecked, it rattles like there's a few frozen peas inside it and it is heavily scratched and the sides are worn smooth from lots of use. Frankly it looks a lot older than the HDR Fox T2.

The nice thing about the Humax Grade A ones is they always put a brand new remote in.

Do Humax sell remotes? I now have 6 boxes but only 4 remotes, having had a remote die with unrespomsive buttons last year at my aunts.

The HDR Fox T2 I got from the link in this thread is fine so far, it's my first box with the vertical tuners (which is a bit annoying, I'd like them all the same).

However the remote control is wrecked, it rattles like there's a few frozen peas inside it and it is heavily scratched and the sides are worn smooth from lots of use. Frankly it looks a lot older than the HDR Fox T2.

The nice thing about the Humax Grade A ones is they always put a brand new remote in.

Do Humax sell remotes? I now have 6 boxes but only 4 remotes, having had a remote die with unrespomsive buttons last year at my aunts.

Plenty of refurbished and brand new ones on e-bay.

It's a "how the hell did you manage to get a new one????!!!!?!?!?!!!!"
What can I say - I'm a resourceful gent :) !

My initial thoughts after a very brief play last night:
  • Much shiner UI than the Topfield - very pleasant on the eye!
  • Web UI and scheduling rocks
  • EPG is no slower than I experienced with the Toppy, though I have no timers set at present
  • HD! - the main reason why I wanted a Toppy replacement
  • Remote scheduling is awesome
  • Remote folder management is once again very useful
So far I'm very happy and looking forward to exploring all the features. One question though, my 1TB drive is only showing 880GB usable space - is that correct?

Back