Humax changing usb drive names

geordie

Hi

My Humax has 2 external usb drives. It labels the external usb drives as usb-drive 1 and usb-drive 2. These are the labels it uses and not any labels that I have assigned to the drive. I have noticed that sometimes, it changes which one is labelled drive 1 or drive 2. There is not any repeatable pattern to this.

Is there any way I can get the Humax to keep a particular drive as drive 1 or drive 2?

Thanks
Jason

I have used gparted to rename my ext3 formatted volumes to something meaningful, at least when using the on-screen interface.

Unfortunately they still appear as drive 1 etc. In webif. Don't know if it could be implemented there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The drive designations (drive1, usb-drive1) are how they are mounted under Linux. EXT2/3 and FAT32 are mounted as 'drive', NTFS is mounted as 'usb-drive' if you have the NTFS-3g package installed. The first drive you plug in is called 'drive1', for example, the next one 'drive2' etc. The drive designations don't survive a reboot, so what was previously 'drive1' may become 'drive2' if you already have a USB drive connected when you plug it in. If you have two drives connected at startup I think that the HDR-FOX does occasionally swap numbers: I think it just depends on which drive it detects first. It may be possible to fix drive designations based on UUID values but I don't know how trivial or difficult this would be for a programmer.
In Webif, if you click on the 'eject' button by the top banner on any page you get a list of the attached drives with both the drive designations and the drive names, so you can tell which is which if you have multiple drives connected.

Last edited:
This is what I see happening - the drives start off as drive1, drive2 and at some point turn into usb-drive1, usb-drive2. There is no time period as to when the rename happens - sometimes it takes so long I cannot use it.

When the drives are named drive1, drive2 I notice that not all folders are listed. So it would be good to know about it. Can anyone help?

Uninstall and reinstall the NTFS-3g package. Without this package, the HDR-FOX will mount NTFS formatted drives as 'drive1' etc. but they will be read only. With the NTFS-3g package installed they will be mounted initially as 'drive1', for example and then be mounted as 'usb-drive1' by NTFS-3g and have write support added. This should be quick (about 20 seconds, I estimate). If it is slower than this you have a problem somewhere, possibly with said package.

I have now noticed that this happens if the Humax is busy e.g. recording 2 programmes and playing 1. Once the machine "calms down", it seems to show everything properly.

Back