Humax customer service.

I posted that my replacement unit has now gone wrong ( hard drive greyed out on menu). This was reported via email to Humax on 20/08/2013 and got a reply suggestinng the hard drive had not initialised.
I had already tried restarting the HDR-FOX-T2 without success (4 times in total). This was reported in my reply to Humax via email and I have not received a reply and that was 2 weeks ago on Tuesday.
Has anyone else had a similar problem with Humax?. The speed of response in replacing my original faulty unit was commendable. I did get a strange message from their email server but have succesfully sent a dupiclate message to them. My 2 year warranty is not up till December this year.

Emailing worked O.K. when my original unit went wrong in February this year but I now think a telephone call is required. As I had asked for an acknowledgement on receipt of my emails, which I have not received, I had wondered whether the email server had gone wrong as per the odd message I got on 27th of August.

I have never received a reply to an unsolicited email. Recently I had to return a refurb unit, and email got nowhere until it was followed up by a phone call. Once the case was opened (by phone), email started working. It seems they need a case reference before they take any notice.

I made contact via telephone and discovered that my primary email did not work. Started to use another email that I have and I have carried out a couple of procedures(factory reset, and latterly loading 1.01.09 and then loading 1.02.32) nothing worked with the "Data Storage" greyed out.
The outcome of this is that the unit will be exchanged on Monday 9th September.
As this is my second unit with hard drive problems my confidence is a little shaky.

Yes it is a 1TB unit. First unit purchased in August 2011.
It will be interesting to see what happens if this unit goes wrong having now exceeded the 2 year warranty period

I am not surprised it is a 1TB unit. It seems to me that the disk fitted in this model is sub-standard, or at least not up to the job.I will say again, I don't like Seagate drives!!

I bought a 1TB unit from JL 2nd August. Fortunately it was loaded with firmware 1.02.32, so I installed the CF 2.18. I was able run the diagnostics and confirmed everything was as it should be. Particularly the hard disk. Yes it was, zero reallocated sectors etc. A couple of weeks later the reallocation count was 88, then another week passed and it was 96. To me that is shocking. The unit was new and no sign of physical damage.

Me being me (lol), I couldn't be bothered to wait until there were outward signs of a disk fault and in it's current state with CF firmware installed, I couldn't really take it back to JL. Without the CF I couldn't demonstrate the issue! As I had a new Western Digital 10EURX drive handy, I removed the tamper seal (well used a hair drier to loosen it), and fitted the new drive. I think I could just about get away with putting the old HDD back without damaging the seal if absolutely necessary.

The thought of replacing the hard drive had occurred to me even with this unit but it rather caught me out by failing more or less without notice. Systematic back up using the Custom firmware may be the answer but there does seem to be a lot of input from me to ensure the recordings I wish to keep are retained. Even though I am of retirement age I am computer literate although not in Linux.
I am using a USB hdd on a HD T2 in another room but have not been able to load in the CF to make it playable on my replacement unit. I have tried 3 different make of USB stick without success. The only thing I might have wanted to replay on my bigger TV is the F1 this weekend but at least I will be getting a new unit on Monday.
Watch this space!

I am using a USB hdd on a HD T2 in another room but have not been able to load in the CF to make it playable on my replacement unit. I have tried 3 different make of USB stick without success.
Does that include updating standard firmware?

The HD T2 is currently running 1.02.28 and as it will not seem to read my memory sticks then updating is not an option at the moment. Strange that it will read and record to the HDD.

Here are some notes from the WiKi on getting USB flash drive to be 'seen' by the Humax, particularly item 3 :-

Some USB Flash / Disk Drives* are reported not to work. The reason for this is not fully understood; however the following tips are known to help :-

1) Remove any other USB devices and power cycle twice (waiting for HDD spin down each time)
2) Do not use a USB extender cable
3) Removing all other files / re-formatting can prevent file fragmentation
4) Try both USB ports (HDR)
5) As a last resort, try a different USB Flash Drive

Thank you for the notes which I am aware of. I was a systems engineer working on PLC and computer control production systems so I have gone through the elimination process and still cannot load anything via memory stick onto the refurbished HD T2. I may try again when time permits as I can see the light on the USB stick flash briefly before the unit goes into its normal mode. The only files on the memory stick is the update file and it is not contained within any other folder.

Just checking - are you aware that you need to hold down the power button on the HD model to initiate a firmware update?
That differs from the HDR model which just requires that the update is on a connected USB drive when booting.

Edit: I read back and see you actually may have an HDR in which case file fragmentation is the usual cause of an update not taking, even if it's the only file on the drive.

Part of the reason for the re-Format note is that if the file is fragmented on the USB stick that the Humax won't find all the fragments due to it's poor file handling, users also say they have more success with smaller USB flash devices, but it is still a bit of a 'dark art' and isn't fully understood

I have an HD Fox T2 as well as the HDR which is about to be exchanged. Your note about the power button is new to me and I will try it at the earliest opportunity. I obviously have not read the information available thoroughly. Many thanks for the information.

Congratulations! I have loaded both the latest firmware and the Custom firmware. Only one of my memory sticks worked but that was sufficient.
I have decrypted on the HDR via the computer but the HD Fox T2 only has one usb port and that has the HDD connected to it. How does one give the decrypting instruction (usb hub and wireless dongle )?

Back