Humax Downloader - Automatically download recent recordings to Android devices

jamesorlakin

Hello,

Humax Downloader is an app that automatically synchronises recent recordings from a Humax HDR-FOX and downloads them to Android devices. I built it for personal use but then realised there's no harm in releasing it.

Requirements:
  • A Humax HDR-FOX (with DLNA enabled)
  • Python installed on the Humax (I know very little Jim/TCL)
  • Some recordings
  • An Android device (running 2.3 or above)
  • A static IP address for your Humax on your LAN
Is it open source?

Of course! Without the work from those who built the custom firmware it wouldn't be possible, so I should open source my code too. Feel free to contribute any changes you make, though don't feel like you have to.

Where can I get it from?

Here, as it's easier than working with forum attachments.

Known bugs:
  • When a recording is in progress in a folder, the latest recordings cannot be determined until the recording is finished. - (Server side issue)
  • The app won't check if enough storage is available before downloading a recording.
  • Some other things I have forgotten.
Reporting bugs:

Please report any bugs to me thorugh the forum, include steps to recreate it and any error messages that appear if you can.

The legal bit:

I offer no warranty of any kind, and offer no guarantee that this application will work all of the time. Now please don't sue me, though it'll be difficult to as I'm 14.

"Help, my download won't play!":

You'll probably need to download a better video player. Personally I use MX Player, it's great at streaming too.

How do I set it up?
  1. Make sure the code is installed on the Humax.
  2. Install the app onto your Android device.
  3. Open it.
  4. Tap on "Directory Management".
  5. In the top right, press the plus.
  6. Enter the name of the directory (it is case sensitive).
  7. Enter the maximum amount of programmes you wish to download for this directory.
  8. Press OK.
  9. Press the back button to go to the main screen.
  10. Enter the IP address and hour and minute you would like to sync at and press save.

How do I install the code for the Humax?

I'm looking at creating a package for this, but for now run these commands over a telnet connection:
Code:
mkdir /mod/webif/html/downloader
cd /mod/webif/html/downloader
wget http://humax.jameslakin.co.uk/server.zip
unzip server.zip
chmod 777 ./ -R

Screenshots:
screenshot1.png
screenshot2.png
screenshot3.png
screenshot4.png

Last edited:
It would be better if you packaged the server using the Opkg tools. Then people would be able to install it using just one command rather than several. They could also get rid of it again more easily :)

Your web page has superfluous </b> tags!

I don't have an Android device.

Thanks, I admit I'm too used to Windows - it doesn't like a single dot to represent 'up'.
'Up' isn't a single dot, it's a double dot. 'Current' is a single dot. It's the same on all operating systems. But you knew that really.
Anyway, put the files on the Humax, set the permissions there and then package it as previously suggested and all this garbage goes away.

Looks like a good piece of work. Not much use to me though.

A few comments:
  1. As you are relying on DLNA to provide the decryption, the recording will not be available to download until the recording has completed and been indexed. This can take a considerable time, especially if some process moves the recording in the mean time (eg flatten or sweeper).
  2. auto-unprotect is essential for this to work with HiDef recordings, although you might not consider HiDef viable.
  3. "Humax" is too general. This specifically applies to the HDR-FOX only (at present).

'Up' isn't a single dot, it's a double dot. 'Current' is a single dot. It's the same on all operating systems.

Yeah, coming to think about it I meant to go 'up' and then chmod the downloader directory - but forgot that bit. Oh well, a single dot returns the same result. Thanks for the info.

A few comments:
  1. As you are relying on DLNA to provide the decryption, the recording will not be available to download until the recording has completed and been indexed. This can take a considerable time, especially if some process moves the recording in the mean time (eg flatten or sweeper).
  2. auto-unprotect is essential for this to work with HiDef recordings, although you might not consider HiDef viable.
  3. "Humax" is too general. This specifically applies to the HDR-FOX only (at present).
  1. I knew that, but it only affected me while a recording is in progress. I just changed the sync time so it didn't clash. I don't use any of the background daemons (sweeper, etc) so haven't tested what effect it would have.
  2. I don't really deal with HD recordings, I find they take too much space for what they're worth. auto-unprotect would make it feasible I guess, and any user that wishes to have HD recordings would need to understand that a lot of device storage is taken up by it (which can be limited on a mobile device).
  3. I know very little about the HDR-FOX (I don't own one so never really investigated it). So for now Humax refers to the HDR-FOX, until I know it works on the HD-FOX. I'm assuming the HD-FOX doesn't have DLNA unless you run the HDR firmware?

3. I know very little about the HDR-FOX (I don't own one so never really investigated it). So for now Humax refers to the HDR-FOX, until I know it works on the HD-FOX. I'm assuming the HD-FOX doesn't have DLNA unless you run the HDR firmware?
What you don't seem to have grasped (and I assume your first reference was supposed to read "HD-FOX"), is that I am asking you to edit your first post to replace all occurrences of "Humax" with "HDR-FOX".

The HD-FOX does not have a DLNA server, even when booted into the custom HDR Mode, and cannot provide decrypted recordings without special measures.

The HDR-1800T and HDR-2000T are able to stream StDef recordings, but have no facility to inject custom code at present (or for the foreseeable future).

It may be possible to do something similar with the Foxsat-HDR, I can't remember the details, but I suspect it does not have a DLNA server and has to rely on Mediatomb.

Back