Humax - Ethernet Issue

Confused Humax

Hi. I’m brand new here with a problem hopefully some wizard can help with. My Humax is connected directly to my wireless router as it’s little over a metre away from it. I have used it without issue for several years.

Today for some reason when I tried to use iplayer, it came up with a message saying I need to connect to wifi. I went through the motions, it says it was connected yet nothing happens and it just puts me back into the menu.

I tried connecting to another port on the router in case it was the router connection that failed but nothing changed. Each time now I try to watch iplayer it suggests I’m not connected and need to connect and it just goes round in circles with nothing gained.

I searched here and found a thread that seems very much to be similar to my issue but I am not technically minded and cannot fathom out how to fix my issue. Hoping that someone can decipher the linked thread to tell me what I need to do.

Thanks

Ian

I think your fundamental problem might be that the iPlayer service is no longer compatible with old set-top boxes. Even if you did manage to get it to connect, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

My guess is that the firmware can't get a service and throws up a misleading error message (because it wasn't programmed anticipating this set of circumstances).

However, it should be quite straightforward to confirm your box does indeed have a network connection – just go into the settings and look at the IP address assigned for the LAN connection, then open a terminal in Windows (or whatever) and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (replacing the x's with the IP address you looked up).

Last edited:
Today for some reason when I tried to use iplayer, it came up with a message saying I need to connect to wifi.
This is an issue that has various reports on the internet from a few days ago on Thursday.

A reported temporary fix described on the MyHumax site is
Anthony Jewell on MyHumax said:
I can confirm that the On Demand started working for me after adding the following manual host definition to my router:
Hostname: test.humaxtvportal.com
IP Address: 52.169.105.9

I cannot give specific advice on how you do that for each router model out there but if you are able to login to your router configuration then there should be a place to add a hostname/IP address. Just look for things like: Hostname, DNS, Name Resolution etc etc.

I will continue to try and contact Humax to see if they can fix their DNS.
If everyone who currently has the same issue would contact Humax they might take note and implement a fix.

I think your fundamental problem might be that the iPlayer service is no longer compatible with old set-top boxes. Even if you did manage to get it to connect, you wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

My guess is that the firmware can't get a service and throws up a misleading error message (because it wasn't programmed anticipating this set of circumstances).

However, it should be quite straightforward to confirm your box does indeed have a network connection – just go into the settings and look at the IP address assigned for the LAN connection, then open a terminal in Windows (or whatever) and type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (replacing the x's with the IP address you looked up).
Thanks for your reply. Via the HUMAX I can connect to Netflix, which suggests it’s definitely connecting to the internet. There are several other options in the on demand setting of the box, but each one of these, except Netflix, brings up the same instruction that I need to connect to the internet. The IP address of the set top box appears as connected in the router settings map. I should add that I did the ping (is that just in a new tab on the internet?) but nothing happened except getting a load of search results for the IP address.

This is an issue that has various reports on the internet from a few days ago on Thursday.

If everyone who currently has the same issue would contact Humax they might take note and implement a fix.
Thanks. For your reply. I’m not really comfortable changing settings on the router as I’d be worried I’d change something that I can’t reverse. I’m not really sure what I’m doing. I’ll have a look at the settings and see if there is anything obvious.

Hostname: test.humaxtvportal.com
IP Address: 52.169.105.9
Interesting. Let's see what looking that up reveals:
Code:
$ nslookup test.humaxtvportal.com
Non-authoritative answer:
test.humaxtvportal.com    canonical name = humaxwebtest.cloudapp.net.
Name:    humaxwebtest.cloudapp.net
Address: 0.0.0.0
So Humax have screwed up the DNS setting. Even so it seems like a weird name.
Attempts to Ping the above mentioned address don't generate replies, nor does attempting to connect to port 80 or 443.
So, perhaps it has a list of names to try (as you would expect given the 'test' nature of this one), and one of those succeeds.
Perhaps it just needs any old address mapped to this name to keep their crappy code happy ("I can't lookup one DNS name, so I conclude the network is not connected" and "it must be the local network that's to blame so instead of telling the user the real error, let's just tell them to connect to wireless instead").

Just for comparison, looking up www.humaxtvportal.com results in:
Code:
$ nslookup www.humaxtvportal.com
www.humaxtvportal.com    canonical name = humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net.
Name:    humaxtvweb.cloudapp.net
Address: 168.63.40.83

PORT     STATE SERVICE
80/tcp   open  http
443/tcp  open  https
3389/tcp open  ms-wbt-server
Port 3389 is MS Remote Desktop and known not to be the most secure thing. I wouldn't leave it open to the world. Cripes.

Mine did exactly the same yesterday, won't "connect" via Wi-Fi or Ethernet even though it's obviously connected, my old Blaupunkt TV works fine with iPlayer etc, it's not the end of the world but it's a bit annoying that it just stops working properly. Also can't find anywhere in my router page where I can change any settings.

So Humax have screwed up the DNS setting.
So this...
the firmware can't get a service and throws up a misleading error message
...sums it up and is the typical crap. Can't connect so therefore assume the problem is local! Talk about sending people up blind alleys.

So, does the 1xx0S still have a working iPlayer client?? (I still have a couple of them looking for a home, by the way)

Mine did exactly the same yesterday, won't "connect" via Wi-Fi or Ethernet even though it's obviously connected, my old Blaupunkt TV works fine with iPlayer etc, it's not the end of the world but it's a bit annoying that it just stops working properly. Also can't find anywhere in my router page where I can change any settings.
I’m at a loss. I can go into my router and see all sorts of things but because I have no IT experience I don’t want to fiddle with stuff in case I really muck it up. My TV that the Humax is connected to can access iplayer, but the Humax also has STV Player, Demand 5 or whatever that’s called plus a few other things, including YouTube. 4 on Demand or All4 as I think it’s called now, ceased working with a Freesat box a couple of years ago. It seems my box can still access Netflix, but nothing else, which is very odd. It seems like a Humax / Freesat issue somewhere.

I’m at a loss.
Why? It's already been stated this is a problem at the Humax end. Fiddling with the router settings is not a good idea, because the alterations required would open a route in to threats. Chances are Humax will sort out their cock-up shortly.

I'm still trying to find out whether the HDR-1000S/1010S/1100S still has iPlayer compatibility. The HDR-FOX, for example, does not.

Meanwhile, as you have a "smart" TV capable of getting iPlayer, what's the problem?

The problem isn’t the fact that I can’t access iplayer, it’s that there is an issue that is affecting connecting to any application via the set top box, except Netflix, which works fine. If you’re telling me that Humax will sort it out that’s good. Humax no longer manufacture Freesat boxes, so I’m not sure how much urgency they will see in providing a fix. Thanks for your help though. In the meantime me and others can just shrug our shoulders.

If your router (model unknown, as you haven't told us) doesn't offer the suggested DNS facilities, then another option is to run your own local DNS server.
This is not all that difficult, but as you have said you are clueless about IT then it's probably not a possibility.

I have the same issue with on demand - only Netflix connects. Also If I try "watch from start" on BBC channels it comes up with the same connection issue.
Any answers would be greatly appreciated :)

Yes. For the record, currently:
Code:
$ nslookup test.humaxtvportal.com
test.humaxtvportal.com    canonical name = humaxwebtest.cloudapp.net.
Name:    humaxwebtest.cloudapp.net
Address: 20.123.36.129

PORT     STATE SERVICE
21/tcp   open  ftp
80/tcp   open  http
443/tcp  open  https
8080/tcp open  http-proxy

Back