Humax Eye

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
Those on the Humax Direct mailing list will have received an offer for the Humax Eye home security camera (connects to your WiFi, uploads to Humax servers, view with a phone app or TV Portal*, configure motion detection zones with the app, review footage for up to 7 days) discounted to £49 with a coupon (previously £129). Total cost with delivery (for one) £55.99.

Discount code "EYE49", expires 25th June.

Surprise surprise, they are experiencing unexpectedly high volumes of orders.

* No, I don't know whether it will be viewable via the HDR-FOX TV Portal.

Back in stock and you can still buy one (at least yesterday) as I did. It's actually a rebadged Y-cam and you use the Y-cam app for Android/IOS.

Viewing app works with the G2 freesat boxes and the Freeview Play units.

It's actually a rebadged Y-cam and you use the Y-cam app for Android/IOS.

Be careful which app you download: without selecting "iPhone only" on the app store, I came across a lot of very similarly named apps which appear to be some kind of scam.

In fact, I am not greatly impressed with the Humax Eye. Yes, it's a decent IP camera with some excellent facilities, but as far as I can see I have no option but for the video to stream via the Humax server. That's a killer for my Internet bandwidth / data cap.

Be careful which app you download: without selecting "iPhone only" on the app store, I came across a lot of very similarly named apps which appear to be some kind of scam.

In fact, I am not greatly impressed with the Humax Eye. Yes, it's a decent IP camera with some excellent facilities, but as far as I can see I have no option but for the video to stream via the Humax server. That's a killer for my Internet bandwidth / data cap.

Unit only records when triggered and will not be triggered when phone registered to unit is in proximity. It doesn't record 24/7. You can view on a phone anywhere there is WiFi available.

Google

Humax eye manual pdf

Well that's curious, because the iPhone app has to be logged in at Humax Towers in order to see the video.

I think you have the wrong app. The service is provided by a Y-Cam server and that's where you have to open a free account. Have you read the app manual as I suggested ? I don't have a Humax login as I don't use anything like remote scheduling. There's a link to the ios app if you open the pdf manual on your phone. To set it up you have to have the camera plugged in and let the app find the camera. Once located you just fill in the boxes.

Y-Cam server / Humax server whatever. It's the involvement of a server I was talking about, and as Humax are fronting this...

I still don't get your point. The idea is that you look at the video while logged in to a free WiFi source while away from home (hotel, restaurant pub etc). How can this affect your ISP data allowance it's sod all to do with them ? The data goes no where near your home connection. Humax are merely paying Y-cam for the hosting. Incidentally you only get 12 months free now if you buy the identical hardware Y-Cam model. 720p data is only uploaded for a few seconds when triggered so over a month should be very little compared to a 24/7 camera. Someone on MyHumax suggested 150MB should cover it.

Who is your isp provider, it's virtually unknown to have a WiFi download/upload limit ? My 100mbps Virgin is unlimited, unlike my phone roaming allowance. Downloading data from a free WiFi source has no effect on your roaming or home limits.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I'm one of those with no access to high speed broadband (I get 3Mbps only on a good day, and that's downstream not up), and I have a 12GB/month data allowance (whichever way you're sending it).

It seems to me this is another case of those 'with' not considering the situation for the many who are 'without' for no fault of their own. 100Mbps is pie in the sky, universal 20Mbps should be available before the ISPs are allowed to provide the fortunate few with any more. (And those who have mega speeds and use it for streaming their TV instead of getting it through the aerial like sensible people are clogging up the Internet for the rest of us.)

My 100mbps Virgin is unlimited, unlike my phone roaming allowance.
And I'm complaining about 3Mbps (which is actually good enough for video, when I can get 3Mbps). I don't know how anyone can manage on 100mbps - that's waaaay slower than even dial-up. :rolleyes:

See my post above yours. It should if course say 100Mbps. (Post edited)

720p data is only uploaded for a few seconds when triggered so over a month should be very little compared to a 24/7 camera. Someone on MyHumax suggested 150MB should cover it. My upload speed just tested at 5.86 Mbps

In a unoccupied property it should in theory use no data as the camera is motion triggered.

Last edited:
See my post above yours. It should if course say 100Mbps. (Post edited)
You still didn't get it right.
Someone on MyHumax suggested 150MB should cover it.
It's just unsubstantiated guff. Neither they nor you know how much it's going to use. If it's trigger based, it will depend on how often the trigger happens which you have absolutely no idea about.
How can this affect your ISP data allowance it's sod all to do with them ? The data goes no where near your home connection.
So this is not strictly true either, is it? In fact it's complete bollocks.

Clearly the video data goes upstream via the user's ISP to get to the server. There remains a question as to where the zone detection takes place - one hopes that would be in the camera itself. However, my main point is this: okay, so all that needs to happen for monitoring off the premises, but for live monitoring within the same network there should be no need for any broadband bandwidth at all.

You still didn't get it right.

It's just unsubstantiated guff. Neither they nor you know how much it's going to use. If it's trigger based, it will depend on how often the trigger happens which you have absolutely no idea about.

So this is not strictly true either, is it? In fact it's complete bollocks.

Whats wrong with 100Mbps ?

Unit is in a room with two entry points in the detection zone. In a unoccupied house only opening either of the doors should trigger the unit. which is kind of what it's supposed to do. So I wouldn't expect it to create any data unless you physically trigger it remotely. Unit is inactive whilst the phone is in the house.

How does viewing content already uploaded to the Y-cam server viewed on a free WiFi hotspot impinge on your home download limits ?

I don't think anyone is arguing about viewing content from the server. It's the camera uploading to the server automatically that is an unknown, and to an extent unknowable, quantity.

Your specific situation may not produce much data but there are many situations that could. If there is a window in view that could pick up external movement, and unless you turn the camera off occupants moving about could cause a lot of uploads. (I expect there are ways to control those situations but things never work out quite as one hopes, so these are reasonable concerns for those with systems that have limited data transmission.)

I have a mate who has had a couple of Y cams, but has relegated these and replaces them with Netgear Arlos.
With the Ycam you can set up a 'movement area' and also, if you link it to your phone, they switch off when your phone is near the house. The main 'problem' is that they are 'only' 720 and YCam charge a monthly sub after one year.
The NG ones are 1080 and much better, and they have a zoom facility.
Both cams use your ISP data to upload pics to their servers, but only do this if either they detect movement (you can easily suspend this) or you provoke them into doing so by accessing them.
Ah, just seen that GLT has already said that lot. (apart from the NB stuff)

Humax have stated there will be no charge for ongoing cloud upload data storage. I have connected my camera using a switched remote power extension. I simply turn on the power when the property will have no one living here.

Needless to say the zone covers my beloved AV kit in my lounge :)

One point the device can't cope with long WIFi Passwords. Humax replaced the first
one before they had this info.

The replacement itself was faulty (the first was probably OK)

The third worked fine once my WiFi logon was trimmed to a shorter password.

TBH the video quality is a reasonable compromise images are sharp much like the BBC iplayer HD you got on the HDR-FOX-T2 before the BBC reduced the resolution to SD and increased the frame rate to 50fps.

At the price a secure cloud storage option with no on going charges seems a reasonable bargain. :)

Black Hole seems to have ignored the clear security issues of storing such content on a local server . :(

Back