Humax Format External Drive?

4ndy

Does custom firmware remove 1tb restriction on formatting external HDD via Humax?

It would be much simpler to format via Humax than via my PC.

No, it doesn't remove the 1TB formatting restriction on the Humax firmware to format bigger HDDs ,but it does add other ways of formatting bigger drives on the Humax using the Custom Firmware routines, See notes HERE

I'm not sure Maintenance Mode will help format an external drive, it is targeted at the internal drive. You might need to use specific command-line operations rather than menu options.

I'm not sure Maintenance Mode will help format an external drive, it is targeted at the internal drive. You might need to use specific command-line operations rather than menu options.

xyz321's notes in the link refer to both internal AND external drives e.g. "Disk are shown as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb". All commands are command-line operations, there are no menu options

"Disk are shown as /dev/sda, /dev/sdb".

That is the bit that concerns me. If I read the notes further up correctly, the external drive can be called sda or sdb depending on which the one the Humax sees first. I guess that means that there is a high risk of inadvertantly formatting the internal HDD. Especially for someone like me, totally unfamiliar with Linux and command-line code. This is in no way a critiscm of xyx123's notes or the CF It it just me recognising my limited skills and exercising due caution.

Yes this can be a problem, the rule is if a USB drive is present at boot up it will be sda and the internal HDD will be sdb. If there is no USB drive is present at boot up then the internal HDD will be sda and any USB drive plugged in later will be sdb. There are sometimes other ways to check which drive is which e.g. by checking the size of the drives, in my case the internal HDD is 500GB and the external only 30GB, but this can obviously have problems if the drives are the same size

You can view the partition table of a drive using fdisk. The internal disk has three partitions.

Code:
fdisk -l /dev/sda

Back