Humax Foxsat Box

tburchell

Hello Folks,

Could someone please advise whether it is possible to transfer programmes I have recorded via my Humax Foxsat box in HD onto a DVD/Bluray disc in HD quality?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Tim.

Only if you have recorded them with nowster's patch in the software, otherwise they are encrypted.
I'm not sure if there is a way of retrospectively decrypting them, but I don't think so.

If you get around the decyption obstacle, you would need to convert the extracted files to something like AVCHD in order to retain the 1920 X 1080 resolution, this can be burnt to a Blu-Ray or a DVD (about 20Mins only) recordable disk, if you convert to the DVD standard you will only get 768 X 576 resolution

Only if you have recorded them with nowster's patch in the software, otherwise they are encrypted.
I'm not sure if there is a way of retrospectively decrypting them, but I don't think so.

There is no known way of retrospectively decrypting HD recordings on a Foxsat-Hdr (There is of course a way on the Humax Freeview+ pvrs).

Last edited:
The bitrate used on BBC-HD easily allows 1 hr of recording on a DVD blank in AVCHD format. The other channels you will get around 40 minutes (unless of course you recode the content using a lower bitrate). The last series of Dr Who ranges between 1.5 - 2.0 GB in size. The 20 minutes duration refers to the max bitrate you can achieve on AVCHD on DVD of approx 17Mbps.

Hi Guys,
I have got a humax freesat hdr 500gig box and trying to transfur hd formatted movies the nowstars patch seems to be the way to go anybody got clear guidlines on how to install patch. Thanks

Did you not read the previous posts in this thread? If they were recorded in HD, unless you had nowster's patch when they were recorded, forget it. They are still encrypted. Nowster's patch decrypts them on the fly while they are recording by means of some magic potion. They will only play back on the Foxsat on which they were recorded.

Thanks yes i did know that, I am not new to programming but new to forums and very new to playing with this type of hardware. So sorry about me not being very clear in my post. i have already flashed custom firmware and tested ftp access all works fine. thanks for your reply Trev.

Did you not read the previous posts in this thread? If they were recorded in HD, unless you had nowster's patch when they were recorded, forget it. They are still encrypted. Nowster's patch decrypts them on the fly while they are recording by means of some magic potion. They will only play back on the Foxsat on which they were recorded.

No decryption on the fly is required. All BBC programmes (satellite and freeview) are transmitted without any sort of encryption. Any generic DVB-T2/DVB-S2 receiver with recording capability is capable of recording the original non-encrypted data stream as is.

Licenced Freeeview+ and Freesat+ boxes are forced to provide a broadcaster with the capability to provide data flags that force the box to :

1 Encrypt HD on copying to the Hard Disk using a unique key to the box. (Often believed to be based on the box serial number and MAC address).

2 Apply a restriction on the number of digital copies that can be made to an external device,

For instance on a Foxsat-HDR the BBC usually specify a copy once limit. You can copy an encrypted HD file to a USB device once and then replay it from USB provided you use the box that recorded the content in the first place. This is easily fixed with the custom firmware because this behaviour is controlled by a simple flag in the .hmt sidecar file.

There is a major difference how the broadly comtemporary HDR FOX T2 (and derivatives) treat encryption compared to the Foxsat-HDR.

The HDR FOX T2 encrpyts all recorded content (HD and SD). Because it is capable of decrypting SD on copying to USB (which makes transfers very slow). The decrypt on copy capability is controlled by a easily patched flag in the .hmt file. This basically allows existing HD encrypted content to be decrypted after recording.

The Foxsat-HDR has no such capability, once the box has decrypted the content to a recording, you cannot decrypt it.

Nowsters patch is just a very small patch to the Humax settop app which basically causes the box to ignore the broadcaster encrypt on recording flag.

The time shift buffer file on a Foxsat-HDR is buffered without encryption and recordings made using non-freesat mode are also not encrypted. It has alway been possible even pre the CF, to manually record HD free of encryption using non-freesat mode.

Thank you very for your reply it is very helpful do you know of any member that has installed the latest Nowsters patch, it seems a good way to go but as yet i have only installed the custom firmware. But that seems to be working OK and have transfured non encryped files across FTP. I dont know how to safely install Nowsters patch so need to get Newbee instructions Please. i will look at the .hmt file with hex editor in the mean while. Thanks again for you help.

Thank you very for your reply it is very helpful do you know of any member that has installed the latest Nowsters patch, it seems a good way to go but as yet i have only installed the custom firmware. But that seems to be working OK and have transfured non encryped files across FTP. I dont know how to safely install Nowsters patch so need to get Newbee instructions Please. i will look at the .hmt file with hex editor in the mean while. Thanks again for you help.

My Foxsat-HDR has had the Nowsters patch applied for a very long time. (Since It first came available some years ago). The first version had an issue with clock change but the newer version is fine.

Do you know how to telnet into the Foxsat-HDR ?

If so enter the following command using telnet

opkg install http://www.nowster.org.uk/humax/settop-patch_4.0.9utc_mips.opk

Don't forget to re-boot before making a test HD recording.

I have being trying to post answer all afternoon.
I imagine it's very similar to this (for HDR-FOX custom firmware): http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Telnet

LarrySan: the Foxsat-HDR custom firmware is documented via a link from the Web Interface front page (or so O have been lead to believe).

Nowsters patch is not part of the CF. nor is it documented within it. Problem appears to be text of my reply. I have no idea why it's impossible to post. Just text no hyperlinks.

Trying again - is it possible the forum software is objecting to the proper name of a windows executable file ?

Firstly make sure that Telnet is enabled on your PC.

Google enabling Telnet in (your OS version).

Make a note of the IP address your Foxsat-hdr has (the one used to access the Web Interface - say xxx.xxx.x.xx).

Copy the above command to the windows clipboard (highlight the text and press crtl+C)

From the start menu type CMD. Double click CMD exe file to launch a command (DOS) window.

In the window type telnet xxx.xxx.x.xx and press enter. The box should come back with a prompt confirming you are logged into it using telnet. Right click and choose paste to insert the command text (or type it). Press enter. All being well all you should have to do is reboot the Foxsat.

Good luck.

That was the issue if you put a dot between CMD and exe rather than a space it throws a massive wobbly. Why ?

Thanks Guys, have sorted it out i can now record without ENC and FTP accross to Pc without any problems have tested on BBC HD and Channel4 HD. I will keep testing to see if any errors appear. A big thank you to grahamlthompson for all you help.

Thanks Guys, have sorted it out i can now record without ENC and FTP accross to Pc without any problems have tested on BBC HD and Channel4 HD. I will keep testing to see if any errors appear. A big thank you to grahamlthompson for all you help.

Got there in the end. The delay was down to a very weird restriction as to what you can put in a post. We have all learnt something new.

I didn't say that it is. Just throwing some info in the OP's direction, as he seems to need it.

Unfortunately the info didn't really help that much. Without ploughing through hundreds of posts the simple install approach is surprisingly hard to find. Imagine having the detailed info required to help the OP and being unable to post it and the frustration arising. The OP is clearly a bit of a PC virgin, as we all were at one time. All he needed was a bit of a telnet primer and the command line I managed to post earlier. It doesn't help that telnet isn't enabled on Windows standard installs by default :(. Lacking this small but key piece of info has fooled many.

Back