Humax Foxsat Box

The wiki link I provided is a Telnet primer.

Why did you not simply explain the steps required to install the patch ? If you read the OP's response it was clear that was all the OP needed. Anyone could Google for a telnet primer and post a link, explaining simply how to install the patch was the question asked. Not a full primer for something the OP may never use again.

Thank Guys, hope i hav'nt caused any trouble by asking some questions it was'nt my aim i only want to learn and hopfully contribute to the forum in some small way.

Anyone could Google for a telnet primer and post a link
You think I had to google that link??? You are clearly not familiar with the resources on hummy.tv.

It's best not to reiterate information that has already been made available, because (a) it's a waste of time and effort, and (b) it means information has to be maintained in multiple places. The wiki page describes step by step how to set up and use a Telnet client for Windows or Mac, and as such I recommend anyone needing information about Telnet is directed to it. It may be overkill in some circumstances, but that is irrelevant.

Thank Guys, hope i hav'nt caused any trouble by asking some questions it was'nt my aim i only want to learn and hopfully contribute to the forum in some small way.
You've not caused any trouble; just stirred up a long-running and inexplicable resentment some people have to my trying to educate.

Sometimes the best way to educate someone is to give parts of a puzzle and allow then to fill in the missing pieces and not to just tell them. This leads to a greater understanding of study I think
thanks again.

But why go through the hoops of telnet anyway when you can do it easily using a USB memory stick. Is the hard way better?

But why go through the hoops of telnet anyway when you can do it easily using a USB memory stick. Is the hard way better?

What hoops ?

No files to download and copy to a usb stick. Just two telnet commands including the login.

The hard way is easier. Lot's have some issues with finding USB sticks that even work in the first place. Using Telnet takes a few seconds. No copying files to usb, no messing with what could be scrawling on the floor to access the usb port. It's all done in seconds without leaving your armchair.

Last edited:

I take it you are copying the HD content to get over the failure of your HDMI port. Are you aware that you can use a lot of other kit to play back the HD files directly to your TV from the Foxsat (including Humax Freeview+ and Humax Freetime Freesat boxes. Lots of kit these days has the required DLNA client.

You would need to add one of the optional DLNA server packages to the Foxsat and most likely the convertfiles package. In fact I always view my Foxsat recordings these days using my Humax HDR1000s (Freesat + Freetime unit). Reason the picture quality is superior to using the Foxsat HDMI output directly.

Sometimes the best way to educate someone is to give parts of a puzzle and allow then to fill in the missing pieces and not to just tell them. This leads to a greater understanding of study I think
thanks again.
You are right... sometimes. And sometimes, you are wrong. It often depends on the skill level of both those doing the helping and those who need the help. It seems you can never win, and someone else will always complain about your way and cite their way as easier. It probably is for them. It might not be for someone else.

Yes prpr, but somtimes people dont want learn just get it given to then on a plate, and others want to get better and raise their skill level.

Yes, it's the old "some people want to be given a fish" as opposed to "some people want to be taught how to fish". Predicting which sort of "customer" you have got on the other end of a medium like this can be hard.

Yes, it's the old "some people want to be given a fish" as opposed to "some people want to be taught how to fish". Predicting which sort of "customer" you have got on the other end of a medium like this can be hard.

Reading the OP's post it hardly takes Sherlock Holmes :eek:, especially reading the post he was replying to.

No is a simple answer, complete neebie in this area so help would be great thanks again

I would like to work on HMT Files can we discuss it here or shall i setup a new thread or maybe point me to post, did search first.

Doesn't the Foxsat CF have an hmt command line utility the same as HDR-FOX? If so, that's the easiest way to read and/or alter properties in the .hmt file. Simple edits (eg programme title and synopsis) can be done directly from the WebIF.

Similar

HMT Utility to parse Foxsat HMT files. Primarily used by the Foxsat Web Interface. Command line options are available for use within batch scripts. Other than the basic explanation in Package Management, I can't find any documentation re HMT in the online documentation.

Larrysan, did you know that a Raydon utility is available to create .htm (and .nts) files from external video content to allow a Foxsat-hdr to play back non native video ? Creating some custom .hmt files could be instructive.

The utility you need is called AV2HDR

yes i did v3.3 and i have it, the reason to do this for me is to learn how hmt files work in more detail and write a util myself, it may seem silly but i enjoy programming
and already looked at these files when i was trying to remove ENC But now i now that was not possible. I do have say raydon does do some great work. The wonders of a hex editor
and vb6. I dont want to re invent the wheel. it helps me understand how the HDR works and that cant be a bad thing.

HMT Utility to parse Foxsat HMT files. Primarily used by the Foxsat Web Interface. Command line options are available for use within batch scripts. Other than the basic explanation in Package Management, I can't find any documentation re HMT in the online documentation.
It will be analogous to this (for HDR-FOX): http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Custom_Firmware_Package_Notes#HMT

For one-off special tweaks we don't bother with batch scripts - we just use the command options directly.

Back