Humax FoxSat HDR Upgrade?

DannyG

Hi guys - please help a newbie out?!

After leaving Sky a couple of years ago, I bought a Humax FoxSat HDR (RM-F01) and used a Sky Wireless Connector to access On Demand content...

But this service has now ceased and I was looking to buy a new box - however coming across this forum, I've seen people talking about software upgrades, tips/tricks and unlocking other content - but it sounds very complicated? :-(

I've still got the original software (as per screenshot), was hoping someone could advise which software to use, how to upload it and what advantages it would bring? Without being too technical!

Maybe there is life left in the old box yet??? :)

Many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20170209_130132.jpg
    IMG_20170209_130132.jpg
    868.5 KB · Views: 21
Hi guys - please help a newbie out?!

After leaving Sky a couple of years ago, I bought a Humax FoxSat HDR (RM-F01) and used a Sky Wireless Connector to access On Demand content...

But this service has now ceased and I was looking to buy a new box - however coming across this forum, I've seen people talking about software upgrades, tips/tricks and unlocking other content - but it sounds very complicated? :-(

I've still got the original software (as per screenshot), was hoping someone could advise which software to use, how to upload it and what advantages it would bring? Without being too technical!

Maybe there is life left in the old box yet??? :)

Many thanks in advance!

You must be talking about the custom firmware add on available from AV Forums. There are too many options to discuss here. It's actually very easy to set up and use.

You do however misunderstand slightly, it doesn't replace the software you have, rather adds to it allowing some standard Linux and other enthusiast devoloped apps to the box. This allows you to for instance view the recordings remotely on smart TV's tablets etc (technically you can a add a DLNA server). Also copy recording files directly to a PC for viewing anywhere.

It does not change what you see using the standard user interface. like the similar software for the HDR-Fox-T2 you access it using a standard web browser (The install creates a web server on the box simply accessed by the box IP address on your network).

Don't expect to get additional on demand services, you can get these very cheaply using something like a NOW TV box (You don't need a subscription for the UK free catch up channels). You can pick one of these up in most major supermarkets (Asda, Tesco etc) for around £15.00 or so.

You must be talking about the custom firmware add on available from AV Forums. There are too many options to discuss here. It's actually very easy to set up and use.

You do however misunderstand slightly, it doesn't replace the software you have, rather adds to it allowing some standard Linux and other enthusiast devoloped apps to the box. This allows you to for instance view the recordings remotely on smart TV's tablets etc (technically you can a add a DLNA server). Also copy recording files directly to a PC for viewing anywhere.

It does not change what you see using the standard user interface. like the similar software for the HDR-Fox-T2 you access it using a standard web browser (The install creates a web server on the box simply accessed by the box IP address on your network).

Don't expect to get additional on demand services, you can get these very cheaply using something like a NOW TV box (You don't need a subscription for the UK free catch up channels). You can pick one of these up in most major supermarkets (Asda, Tesco etc) for around £15.00 or so.
Thanks a lot for the reply - looks like I've some homework to do! :)

I have Just loaded Raydon's CF to my Foxsat HDR but unable to access network. I can ping the HDR from my PC and it is listed as a device on my router, but when I type in the IP address into Firefox it cannot find the the HDR. Any advice please?

Thanks for the reply, I tried clearing the catch on Firefox and Internet Explorer but still cannot see the Foxsat.

Do you have seperate subnet for WiFi and Hard wired kits ? Can you temporarily connect the PC by cable to your router ?

Did you re-boot your Foxsat after flashing the firmware. Do you get after BOOT on the Display "Custom Fw v4.1.3" ? What version of the Custom Fw did you flash ?

Last edited:
I don't have a seperate subnet for WiFi and hard wired. I cannot connect my desktop PC to the Foxsat by cable as they are in diffferent rooms and I don't have an ethernet cable that long, the connection at present is using a tp-link Powerline kit. I could connect my laptop to the Foxsat by cable and see if that will connect.

I did reboot the Foxsat after flashing the firmware, however I do not get the "Custom Fw v4.1.3" on the display after BOOT. I used version 4.1.3 to flash

Just after the progress bar showed full a message flashed on the screen to say that the installation was successful. However the whole install period only took a matter of seconds from 'BOOT' message disapearing to 'END' appearing and it was difficult to read the messages as the screen changed so quickly.

The basic interface is very small so the time it takes is very small - that's why the file is small. The bulk of the interface is downloaded from the internet after you login to the boxes Web Server. I would try again using a different USB stick freshly formatted FAT32 and make sure the only file is the .hdf upgrade file in the root folder of the drive. Check your PC isn't set to hide known file extensions so you are sure the file is correctly named. Turn off the box using the rear power switch for 5 - 10 mins to make sure you are starting from a full sby situation. If the box is in recording sby say 15 mins before a scheduled recording it won't load the update. Check the stick after the flash (it's been a long time - pretty sure the file is renamed or deleted during the install.

Try using a different browser - Chrome works OK for me with both my Foxsat-HDR and two HDR-Fox-t2's

I am up and running, the hdf file I had coppied from the RAR was either corrupt or incomplete. I have downloaded the RAR again and the hdf file is twice the sze of the one I was attempring to flash. So although the flash is quick to load it was now where near as fast as the corrupt file had been!
So a very big thankyou all for the assistance and ideas, we got there in the end. Now looking forward to finding out how to use the new options

I am up and running, the hdf file I had coppied from the RAR was either corrupt or incomplete. I have downloaded the RAR again and the hdf file is twice the sze of the one I was attempring to flash. So although the flash is quick to load it was now where near as fast as the corrupt file had been!
So a very big thankyou all for the assistance and ideas, we got there in the end. Now looking forward to finding out how to use the new options

Don't forget to apply nowsters patch to give you access to HD recordings. I have posted the easy way using telnet to apply this. If you need help with telnet ask again.

Back