Humax FVP-5000T Transfer of Audio Recordings via FTP Unencrypted - Is this possible?

cmr_hummytv

Dear all

Season Greetings

First post here. Looking at buying the 5000 purely for recording radio (without the need to leave the PC on) Would the recordings by unencrypted? google is giving me confusing answers...

Thanks all

No. You have to use Samba according to the following link and various other posts with some meat to them
https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/file-transfer
Although this says 'mp3' they are not 'mp3'. They are just normal MPEG2 audio with a lot of padding. If you want to save space the padding can be easily stripped out without any re-encoding.

Yopu may also be able to make use of the DLNA server to transfer and decrypt radio recordings.

Last edited:
...and some players won't play them even if you do.

It doesn't matter whether the recordings are encrypted or not if you play them using the same unit. The audio can be extracted as an analogue signal to a HiFi or whatever, but of course you still need the TV on to provide a user interface.

Your best bet would be to procure a used HDR-FOX, then you can employ the custom firmware facilities to provide decrypted content and convert it to proper MP3 (automatically, without user intervention).

I never got my JVC/Kenwood car stereo to "like" the DVB-T audio stream no matter what I called it. The only solution (for me) was stream conversion to proper MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3).

You may also be able to make use of the DLNA server to transfer and decrypt radio recordings.
If the 5000T works in any way similar to a 2000T this should work. I then use ffmpeg (free) to strip out the mp2 part of the recording ffmpeg" -i "file.ts" -acodec copy -vn "file.mp2". Alternatively use ffmpeg to convert to mp3 directly. (Off the top of my head I can't remember how.) I use mp3DirectCut (free) to edit the mp2/mp3 file if necessary.

Alternatively use ffmpeg to convert to mp3 directly. (Off the top of my head I can't remember how.)
ffmpeg" -i "file.ts" -acodec libmp3lame -vn "file.mp3"
works for me, but I'm not sure if I originally did anything to make libmp3lame available. I normally only use ffmpeg for quickly and easily stripping Humax ts files down to mp2, or occasionally converting to WAV.

I use mp3DirectCut (free) to edit the mp2/mp3 file if necessary.
Thanks. I'd forgotten mp3DirectCut could handle mp2 (providing the file has an extension of mp2 and for some functions mpglib.dll is installed).

Thanks all - basically I'm buying this to record the radio and save to PC - so a Samba share would be fine. I can also easily convert the files. I was just not sure about then encryption. Looks like I'm ok to buy :)

I will try and do a test for you on an FVP-5000T and confirm that is possible,
OK I have done a test using a 6 minute instant record from Radio 4 that was about 45MB. Downloading via the network server took 8s and resulted in a recording that was playable via various media players. Using FTP to download the recording took 5s and gave something that was not playable and I presume was still encrypted. Hope that helps.

OK I have done a test using a 6 minute instant record from Radio 4 that was about 45MB. Downloading via the network server took 8s and resulted in a recording that was playable via various media players. Using FTP to download the recording took 5s and gave something that was not playable and I presume was still encrypted. Hope that helps.
Thanks - much appreciated. I will buy and use the Samba Share. Many thanks again.

Back