Humax FVP-5000T

sceptic

Forum Supporter
Interesting first look HERE. I was hoping for a significant upgrade to the internals to speed up the UI navigation issues that ruin the day to day 4000T user experience...

As you say it seems to be much the same as the 4000T
I wonder if the reason for a new model is that the FVP-4000T was launched before the software was really in a fit state and consequentially received an awful lot of really bad feedback and this is a way to wipe the slate clean (and hopefully address the slow response issue with more CPU power).

I wonder if the reason for a new model is that the FVP-4000T was launched before the software was really in a fit state and consequentially received an awful lot of really bad feedback and this is a way to wipe the slate clean (and hopefully address the slow response issue with more CPU power).
Despite Barry has listed some differences on the other UK Humax site but I was, and still am, wondering exactly the same as you.

I won't be rushing out to buy one until I have seen it working for myself and that its at least as fast as the HDR-FOXT2 in all its menu actions.

I think Humax should offer a goodwill gesture part exchange for all us early adopters of the FVP4000T, especially considering how awful it was when it was first released.... won't happen of course, but nice to dream!

Last edited:
I really look forward to hearing how it compares to the FVP4000T speed wise, hopefully it cant be any worse.

Someone on another forum already has theirs and they say its a big improvement, but still with its little urks. I will reserve judgement until I see it with my own eyes ;)

Would be great to see some screen shots of the new interface.

As my T2 (1TB) is on it's last legs HDD-wise I am thinking of sourcing a 5000T. I note that John Lewis are selling the 500GB version with a two year guarantee. But they are not selling the 1/2TB versions at all. I wonder if there's an insider on here who knows if these higher density disks are the exact same as what's been put in the T2? And therefore possibly with the same shelf life?

For those who have one already - is it possible to switch wi-fi off?
You can do this with the T2 but I noticed on my blu-ray player I can only *delete* wi-fi info (meaning I have to reset the password when I put it back on)

Last edited:
Manual is here. (scroll down to the bottom) Sadly it seems user cannot *rename* files or folders. Cannot create folders??? I am bereft. No point, therefore, in anything bigger than 500GB as I'll use external drives for 'organised storage'. Good to see it recognises NTFS format though :)

500 GB = 1/2 TB

As my T2 (1TB) is on it's last legs HDD-wise I am thinking of sourcing a 5000T. I note that John Lewis are selling the 500GB version with a two year guarantee. But they are not selling the 1/2TB versions at all. I wonder if there's an insider on here who knows if these higher density disks are the exact same as what's been put in the T2? And therefore possibly with the same shelf life?

For those who have one already - is it possible to switch wi-fi off?
You can do this with the T2 but I noticed on my blu-ray player I can only *delete* wi-fi info (meaning I have to reset the password when I put it back on)

Why not just put a new HDD in your T2?

Currently the Seagate ST1000VM002 Pipeline 1 TB are just over £40 on Amazon, then you have a great machine with a brand new drive. if you wanted you could get a 2TB version.

With these devices, using WiFi, can this be turned off easily or is it not advisable? Or does it turn off when the Humax is in Standby anyway? I don't like my BT Home Hub staying out of 'resting' mode all the time. When I access my Apps on my Smart TV I turn on or off my WiFi on my TV as required by what I'm doing.

Well just discovered HHGTTG, that the only way to turnoff wifi is to do a Factory Reset!!! This is apalling. Poor security. At least with my telly I can put in a wrong password. With this box - if I do that - it just goes back to the correct password. It's awful. and I have a list pf problems growing by the day. What was a cracking system with the FoxT2 is now a pile of ****

I am going to go back to the T2 - download the customware, get a new drive if necessary, use the new box as a back up. :-(

Well just discovered HHGTTG, that the only way to turnoff wifi is to do a Factory Reset!!! This is apalling. Poor security. At least with my telly I can put in a wrong password. With this box - if I do that - it just goes back to the correct password. It's awful. and I have a list pf problems growing by the day. What was a cracking system with the FoxT2 is now a pile of ****

I am going to go back to the T2 - download the customware, get a new drive if necessary, use the new box as a back up. :-(
That's amazing, so no good for me should my current FOX T2 breakdown. I cannot imagine why there isn't a simple ON/OFF toggle switch somewhere in the Network settings. Admittedly the raison d'etre of this tuner is the ability to go back to broadcasts prior to the currently day etc.

Back