Humax H3 Media Streamer

MontysEvilTwin

New product from Humax, the H3 'Smart Media Player' (see here), priced at £79 plus delivery from Humax Direct. It has Netflix, YouTube and the TV player app, amongst others, plus subscription access to 'premium' channels. It looks like it can also stream live TV from an FVP-4000T too. The glaring omissions are no BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, or My5. It would be good to know if any of these are to be added later. It also claims to be able to play 'all recordings' from a networked FVP-4000T. If this is true, it could be very attractive to FVP-4000T owners. However, I recommend getting confirmation that it can play high definition recordings from an FVP-4000T before buying one.

I got that email as well, and had to laugh. It looks and has features very similar to the Q box Sky are currently promoting.

I wonder if Humax are manufacturing it for Sky.

New product from Humax, the H3 'Smart Media Player' (see here), priced at £79 plus delivery from Humax Direct. It has Netflix, YouTube and the TV player app, amongst others, plus subscription access to 'premium' channels. It looks like it can also stream live TV from an FVP-4000T too. The glaring omissions are no BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4, or My5. It would be good to know if any of these are to be added later. It also claims to be able to play 'all recordings' from a networked FVP-4000T. If this is true, it could be very attractive to FVP-4000T owners. However, I recommend getting confirmation that it can play high definition recordings from an FVP-4000T before buying one.
Yes, this can stream live TV (including HD Channels) from one of the tuners in an FVP-4000T. It can play HD and SD recordings from an FVP-4000T.

I wonder what protocol they are using to stream high def. content from the FVP-4000T. Presumably it is not DLNA? Assuming the data packets are encrypted, the H3 would have to decrypt the stream to play it. I wonder how secure this method is?

The way it works between the (unmodified) HDR-FOX (server) and HD-FOX (client) is that HiDef is served by DLNA in a protected stream. The actual video packets are decrypted on the fly in the process of the DLNA server streaming them, and pass over the network as normal non-encrypted DLNA data, but the server requires positive identification that the client device is only able to display the stream and not store it before the stream is permitted to take place.

The means for identifying this is a DTCP handshake (see Glossary) between the server and the client - this is cryptographic, and only provided to manufacturers who undertake to conform to the requirements. Thus the HD-FOX asks to stream a HiDef recording, the HDR-FOX says show me your credentials, the HD-FOX replies with the cryptographic authentication, then the HDR-FOX starts the DLNA stream of the requested content.

However, as we have been able to trick the HDR-FOX into thinking specific HiDef content is actually not protected, using the custom firmware (or Foxy) we are able to stream HiDef content without the authentication process - hence decryption occurs, and this is how the CF decryption processes work (a properly-constructed request for content is made to the internal DLNA server, which obligingly performs the decryption, and the streamed content is captured into a new file to replace the encrypted file).

Assuming the FVP-4000T/H3 combination use the same mechanism, the process remains secure(ish) because there is no current mechanism to mark the HiDef files as unprotected. It may be possible to use the H3 to trigger a stream, and then use network analysis to capture it on the way to the H3.

The Hummy 4000 already has Netflix, You Tube, BBC Iplayer and other catch up apps
4000 can also stream channels through VLC android app

4ac61c511e9b1db6789af5e6d9c8fe39.jpg

4000 already has built-in DLNS media server and you can play content from a desktop or again via VLC android ap

e2997d448109959d0f88e16aff65a718.jpg

All for FREE

So am I missing something but I dont see the benefits???

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hummy 4000 already has Netflix, You Tube, BBC Iplayer and other catch up apps
4000 can also stream channels through VLC android app

All for FREE

So am I missing something but I dont see the benefits???

In HD? H3 can also stream live TV to another room.

Back