Humax have done some tweaks...

Steppy

Looks like Humax have been doing a few tweaks to the FVP-4000.

The changes seemed to have been done over night on Friday as I spotted them Saturday night. What I have spotted so far
  • Guide is now more transparent so you can see whats going on behind.
  • Guide population boxes for small items stay small for a brief time then open up to their usual full size. With this now you at least see the next program for a brief period of time before it gets covered up.
  • When you skip days in the Guide it now skips to the same point time you skipped from and not to midday of the day you want to start looking at.
  • Jumping from the initial Guides 'Now and Next' view to the full guide view is a little bit quicker.
  • The Home screen looks different and is more incorporated with the 'Demand' services so you don't need to hit the separate Demand button for example to watch YouTube as its along the bottom of the screen along with iPlayer etc.
  • The Recordings thumbnails have been made smaller so there are now 4 across the page instead of 3 which means you can see more on your screen which is good.
  • Very very slight speed improvements speed.
I think thats all I have spotted so far. The slight increase in speed is welcome, but its still woefully sluggish compared to the HDR-FOX t2. I don't know why they just couldn't have adapted that guide which is really fast and slick.

On a side not there is one thing which I really liked about the FVP is that it didn't automatically retune the guide the other week and lose the recording schedule. It gave a message when it started advising that there had been a change and would I like to retune now. The message didn't automattically disappear until and I simply chose cancel. I retuned the next day after I had made a note of my timers.

On a side note there is one thing which I really liked about the FVP is that it didn't automatically retune the guide the other week and lose the recording schedule. It gave a message when it started advising that there had been a change and would I like to retune now. The message didn't automatically disappear until and I simply chose cancel. I retuned the next day after I had made a note of my timers.
That is something that puts me off buying a FVP-4000T. The freeview standard for any freeview model bought out now is that the schedule and your preferred region is retained after tuning. Because Humax brought out the FVP-4000T model before April 2016 they have bypassed this 2016 freeview standard and have not brought the FVP-4000T up to date yet.

The slight increase in speed is welcome, but its still woefully sluggish compared to the HDR-FOX t2. I don't know why they just couldn't have adapted that guide which is really fast and slick.
The FVP-4000T includes 7 day details for VOD. Between the HDR-FOX T2 and the HMS-1000T it probably appeared to make more sense to base it on the HMS-1000T as the HMS-1000T also has the 7 day VOD guide.

Odd, I retuned after CH5 HD was available and my schedule was lost :(
I'm guessing that you retuned before your firmware was upgraded? I will try another retune later to confirm whether the new firmware has made a difference to the tuning behaviour.

I have just manually tuned the BBC B HD mux, and can confirm that my recording schedule was still complete.
Then I tried deleting all TV channels, prior to another manual tune, and this has deleted my recording schedule.

I have just manually tuned the BBC B HD mux, and can confirm that my recording schedule was still complete.
Then I tried deleting all TV channels, prior to another manual tune, and this has deleted my recording schedule.

Yes, I did my retune middle of last week I think it was, so before the Firmware update.

I wasn't sure how to just retune a particular mix or which one I should do, so I just did a retune, which going by your test will still delete the recording schedule. Usually I will do a default settings when changes have occurred which I know wipes out everything, so this time I did just retune and now I know it clears all channels and recording schedule.

Thanks

Sounds good.

There was an announcement over a year ago that included some of what d-book 8 had in store and three of the items included tuning. It would be good if Humax could implement them all successfully on this d-book 7 PVR. One of the items was the retention of the schedule on a retune, so that has now been covered. Another was that if on a retune you stated your preferred region then it would remember that option. I presume that as the retention of the recording schedule has only just been introduced then that might be the case with the region, in which case it won't show up until the next retune, or has that already shown up?

The third tuning change announced was that the PVR would automatically store the best received channels. The latest Vestel does this. The result is a bit bizarre compared to what I am use to. On an auto-tune it will store my choice of region for the local channels and then for the other channels, including those that share a multiplex with a local channel, it will store the best received. This means, for example, that I could have BBC 1 from 1 transmitter's BBC A mux, but all the other BBC A channels are from another transmitter's BBC A mux. I can't imagine Humax doing that any time soon but it would be nice to be proved wrong.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! We know what happens with AR when the transmitters get mixed.

Back