Humax HDR-Fox keeps restarting, saving recordings to a backup HDD

Ray Pinnegar

Since the last update to 1.03.12 in Feb. After about 2mins. from switching on from standby my Humax 500GB restarts. This then happens quite randomly during the day. The most irritating feature is that if a recording is under way it does not continue the recording after the restart.
I have run a factory reset without any difference to the behaviour. I have been recommended to reformat the HDD but I don't want to lose the recordings.
I have an iMac, a USB HDD and a Windows XP netbook available.
Can anyone advise on saving a backup and then reformatting the Humax HDD?

Thanks in anticipation Ray Pinnegar

Recordings can be copied to USB drive and then copied back after HDD formatting, it is also possible to FTP file to your laptop before formatting and then FTP them back. Note FTPed files (and Hi-def files copied to USB) will be encrypted, so they will only play back on the original Humax

Thanks for prompt reply Ezra!! Can you give step by step instruction to do this. My USB port on the Humax has the WiFi Dongle in it.
Ray

There are two USB ports on the HDR-Fox T2, one at the front and one at the rear.

For USB after connecting a USB drive to your Humax, use the remote control to select Media, select the files and then use OPT+ button to copy to the USB drive

For FTP you will need to turn it on with Menu >> Settings >> System >> internet settings >> FTP server =on and then FTP to your Humax, this can be done in browsers like Firefox by entering ftp://192.168.2.13 on the address bar, you must replace the 192.168.2.13 with the IP address of your Humax, found in Settings >> System, you will be asked for a log in and password e.g.
login = humaxftp
password = 0000

Recordings can be copied to USB drive and then copied back after HDD formatting, it is also possible to FTP file to your laptop before formatting and then FTP them back.

How would you do either with the box constantly rebooting?:disagree:

I was offering help about the backup procedure as requested. I guess you are having trouble with your quote boxes :)
EDIT
As you have fixed the quote problem, how about providing some help to the OP?
Mike0001 : How would you do either with the box constantly rebooting?
The OP didn't use the word 'constantly', he used the word 'randomly'

I was offering help about the backup procedure as requested.

So, you would have to (a) remove the drive, and (b) have something capable of reading its Ext2 file system.

Being unix based, I assume the iMac will be able to read the drive with no problems. For the Windoze XP machine, ext2fs is still available. (It doesn't work on the latest generation.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/files/

Nested quotes? Who would have thought?:D

This random rebooting is an issue I have experienced. I unloaded the hummy firmware and reloaded and this has reduced the number dramatically. However I frequently watch programs over my network (both CAT6 hardwired to the switch) on a Samsung TV and will find randomly, maybe after 1 hour, maybe 2-3 the Humax reboots mid program. It takes 2 restarts, which it initiates, and then the Humax comes up as available on the Samsung and away we go again. I have now copied all my recordings from the Humax to my QNAP NAS, (wish I could do that without a PC's involvement) and I will see if the same occurs therefore pointing at the Samsung. But I am confident it is a Humax thing, any clues would be appreciated.

I would be interested as to how? It would be great just to have the Humax copy to or store on a network drive without my intervention via the PC. Maybe it does already?
Depends exactly what you're trying to achieve, but your NAS almost certainly uses Samba, so install CF, install Samba package, map the NAS share to a mount point on your Humax and use rsync to copy the files (you probably want to decrypt them first as well). You could set up a cron job to run a script to do it automatically.

Depends exactly what you're trying to achieve, but your NAS almost certainly uses Samba, so install CF, install Samba package, map the NAS share to a mount point on your Humax and use rsync to copy the files (you probably want to decrypt them first as well). You could set up a cron job to run a script to do it automatically.
I have the samba package installed, what I cannot seem to get is the shares available on the Humax, and I cannot see how I "map the NAS share to a mount point on your Humax" A Janet and John would be good if not too much trouble?

Back