Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB V Humax HDR-FOX T2 1TB

Zodiac

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member here for quite some time but I don't believe I've posted yet! I've owned the Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB since about 2016 but there's a slight issue with it and it's full anyway.

I'm thinking of getting the 1TB version. Is there any issues with this version compared to the 500GB? I thought I'd read way back that there was. Is it slower than the 500GB version or anything else?

If you were buying one of these which one would it be?

Thanks.

There is no issue, except that these units have not been available new for several years. Your options are to buy second hand or simply upgrade your existing unit. "Full up" drives result in glitchy behaviour, so there might not be anything wrong with it.

You can go up to 2TB, but do you really need to keep all that stuff? Will you ever have time to watch it all? Just having a spring clean might solve the problem for free.

I've been a member here for quite some time but I don't believe I've posted yet!
Just click your forum name:

330B8E91-0E52-4DF0-9246-25EC54C3D0D3.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been a member here for quite some time but I don't believe I've posted yet! I've owned the Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB since about 2016 but there's a slight issue with it and it's full anyway.
Could you tell us what the "slight issue" is please?
I'm thinking of getting the 1TB version. Is there any issues with this version compared to the 500GB? I thought I'd read way back that there was. Is it slower than the 500GB version or anything else?
As far as I know the only difference is the size of the hard drive.
If you were buying one of these which one would it be?
Depending on what the "slight issue" is, I would just be fitting a bigger hard drive.

Last edited:
There is no issue, except that these units have not been available new for several years. Your options are to buy second hand or simply upgrade your existing unit. "Full up" drives result in glitchy behaviour, so there might not be anything wrong with it.

You can go up to 2TB, but do you really need to keep all that stuff? Will you ever have time to watch it all? Just having a spring clean might solve the problem for free.

Just click your forum name:

View attachment 6605
Aah...Black Hole, I remember you from 2014/2015. I should be honoured I guess! I never posted back then but lurked a lot! It was about the time Humax did one last update if I remember right on the Humax HDR-FOX T2 or Humax HDR-FOX T2 500GB. I think a few were surprised that they did one so late on.
The answer to both your questions is Yes and Yes.
I basically turned the HDR-FOX T2 500GB(Server) into a Video Jukebox! I watch the videos most days and it's overflowing and I'm constantly having to transfer videos off. Every week now! It's inconvenient as I have a HDR-FOX T2 downstairs and it's the Receiver (Slave).
I bought this unit off Ebay and it did not have a mark on it, same as the R/C. Anyway. A good price as well. I notice it was being advertised as a Humax Freesat Box so maybe didn't draw as much attention! 😉 I,ve used it constantly every day and it's now got glitches and is full anyway. I'll explain glitches to Martin Liddle. If you can advise on these too it would be much appreciated. I didn't use the customized software as I read on here by someone that it slows the machine down and I was very impressed at the speed compared to the Humax Foxsat HDR 500GB! Is this true? I really am thinking of putting this on as I also don't like the Digital clock style or the fact the Screensaver goes off after a few minutes! Thanks.

Could you tell us what the "slight issue" is please?

As far as I know the only difference is the size of the hard drive.

Depending on what the "slight issue" is, I would just be fitting a bigger hard drive.
Hi Martin, Good to know you. I explained a few things to Black Hole. Please see message above. OK, I'm using this unit constantly so after using it since 2015 so I'm not surprised if it's now starting to play up. The glitches are firstly it's turning it self off and doing a restart especially if I'm working it hard - Moving files etc. It's increasing in frequency I would say. That's been happening for months now but the new problem is it's disconnecting from server. It gets on but barely plays one music video especially HD. Then it sometimes says - 'Can't Find Server' or words to that effect. It works ok with Ethernet cable. I reset the router after leaving it off for 5 minutes or so, that made no difference. My Blu Ray picks up everything up and it sits nearby and my Laptop when I take it over there works fine too. By the way a few years back I found that the Humax boxes only seemed to work with Humax Dongles. I did have one that wasn't Humax that worked but then stopped so I had to get another Humax Dongle. I expect you may tell me that it needs some capacitors replaced although I don't know which ones!
I was thinking about replacing the Hard Drive as you say but it depends on the faults at present and can you use any Hard Drive if not which one works best? Also do you find that customized software slows down any of the Humax Media Players? Thanks. 🙂

SWMBO has her own HDR-Fox T2. She records all sorts of drivel and rarely has time to watch it, refusing my offer to cull some of it. I have installed a 4TB disk which is performing admirably but filling up!

I know it's only TV and if it were me, I would delete the lot.

I didn't use the customized software as I read on here by someone that it slows the machine down
It depends what you ask the CF to do. If you load it with tasks, the CPU clock cycles have to come from somewhere, but the main operations as a PVR are in hardware and carry on regardless. However, even non-hardware PVR operations execute at a higher priority than CF operations. But if it works for you (sans-CF) that's fine.

Without CF you don't have the tools installed which might allow diagnosis of your problems. You are in dire need of file system / HDD sanitation, and the only tool provided by Humax as standard is a reformat. Without CF, your 'jukebox server' must be using the restricted facilities of the Humax DLNA server. And as I said, with a full disk all bets are off anyway.

I have installed a 4TB disk
I presume using the GPT facilities available with CF. Otherwise the limit is 2TB.

Last edited:
It depends what you ask the CF to do. If you load it with tasks, the CPU clock cycles have to come from somewhere, but the main operations as a PVR are in hardware and carry on regardless. However, even non-hardware PVR operations execute at a higher priority than CF operations. But if it works for you (sans-CF) that's fine.

Without CF you don't have the tools installed which might allow diagnosis of your problems. You are in dire need of file system / HDD sanitation, and the only tool provided by Humax as standard is a reformat. Without CF, your 'jukebox server' must be using the restricted facilities of the Humax DLNA server.

I presume using the GPT facilities available with CF. Otherwise the limit is 2TB.
Thanks for that. What about my other points? Isn't staying connected to server using W-Fi. The Humax box also turns itself off now and again especially if I'm about to transfer files etc. What is causing this?

Thanks. I'm surprised you aren't suggesting the caps. I'm not going to buy a Hard Drive to put in this unit if I can't remedy issue. Can I ask you when you are putting a Hard Drive in does it have to be a certain type? I was thinking about putting a 1TB HD into either this unit or anew one but I guess I may as well go for one that has 1TB HD already installed I guess?

I'm surprised you aren't suggesting the caps.
I don't know your capability and most people don't have the tools/skills. Besides, what you report hasn't been reported before, these are not the typical faults we see from suspect capacitors. If it were me I would be using the CF diagnostics before worrying about the hardware, and I would definitely be spring-cleaning / off-loading stuff (even if temporarily) combined with sanitisation to eliminate the full disk as a contributory factor for the problems you are experiencing. Even off-loading is made easier with CF.

I think you can ignore the WiFi issue for now, that's far too prone to external influences to pin the blame on the Humax, but there are also facilities in the CF to harden up the WiFi link. WiFi is not recommended except as a last resort.

You can only really draw firm conclusions about weird behaviour if that weird behaviour is still apparent on a clean system. That means restore factory defaults and reformat the HDD. If that clears the faults – all well and good, but it's a lot of messing around. It all depends how much you value time over money.

I don't know your capability and most people don't have the tools/skills. Besides, what you report hasn't been reported before, these are not the typical faults we see from suspect capacitors. If it were me I would be using the CF diagnostics before worrying about the hardware, and I would definitely be spring-cleaning / off-loading stuff (even if temporarily) combined with sanitisation to eliminate the full disk as a contributory factor for the problems you are experiencing. Even off-loading is made easier with CF.

I think you can ignore the WiFi issue for now, that's far too prone to external influences to pin the blame on the Humax, but there are also facilities in the CF to harden up the WiFi link. WiFi is not recommended except as a last resort.

You can only really draw firm conclusions about weird behaviour if that weird behaviour is still apparent on a clean system. That means restore factory defaults and reformat the HDD. If that clears the faults – all well and good, but it's a lot of messing around. It all depends how much you value time over money.
Thanks. I can solder. It just seems strange that this unit works fine for years then the unit restarting itself issue now the Wi-Fi issue. I'm not taking most of the videos off it. I did take 6GB off it's full capacity to record something. That didn't change the W-Fi issue. This is the issue that's most bothering me as I used it a lot and it's mostly for short music videos in HD and it's best as you will know watching them on another Humax as there is always time lag when watching on my Yamaha Blu-Ray. I imagine better sound though. I rectify the time lag by forward searching for a couple of seconds that corrects the time lag if watching on Yamaha Blu Ray or anything else.
I value time over money. I have wasted time quite a lot of time although it's not always a waste if you are learning something or more importantly enjoying it. Strangely, I don't mind soldering either which some people hate. I don't do that much though.
This other language you are speaking can you break it down a little for me please? "CF diagnostics"? "Sanitising"? Incidentally you may be right about the Wi-Fi issue as after rebooting the router and checking the 'download speed was good I brought up my Humax HD-FOX T2 and tried it and had the same issue - losing connection yet my Blu Ray player is now fine. Is there any way of doing a 'defrag' or 'clean up without reformatting the drive?

One other question if I take out my current Drive and put another in, the videos I have on the original drive will remain there I take it in case I want to put it back in?
Of course. Clearly you haven't read the article.

Also if you do this the Humax box doesn't force you to format drive does it? I take it gives you the option?
What? As an external drive? No. As an internal drive? Only if it doesn't already have the appropriate format.

I'm not taking most of the videos off it.
If you have no backup, you have your head in the sand.

This other language you are speaking can you break it down a little for me please? "CF diagnostics"? "Sanitising"?
Until you dip your toe in the water, you'll never know. Sometimes you just have to dive in.

Thanks for that. What about my other points? Isn't staying connected to server using W-Fi. The Humax box also turns itself off now and again especially if I'm about to transfer files etc. What is causing this?
I found that the Humax wifi setup is less than useful, I ended up using one of these. Never had a problem since, but they have roughly doubled in price since I got mine.

Back