Humax HDR-FOX T2 Boot cycling HDD Issue/Replacement

mavz3

Hello
I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 which is boot cycling, it started as an intermittent problem but is now permanent. (i.e Start System - Custom Firmware - system start etc).
I removed HDD and reinstalled official firmware, which works fine, I unstalled the custom firmware 3.13 and it is working fine.

I assume then it is a HDD failure. I was wondering the best way of recovering the recorded files. Could I:

I have copied all the files to my NAS via my linux system, some are HD so encrypted.
Could I take disk out and check/repair the disk by putting in my linux system, then copy them back?
I have another new 500GB HD same make and model can I use that? Either clone one to other or put new one in and let it format it and then copied files back? If clone what would anyone recommend.

I have second Humax HDR-Fox T2 running custom 3.13 which I have jut put a 2TB drive in, I assumed I would have to format it through the web interface to align the operating system file-system block size with the native sector size but it has formatted it ok , will Custom 3.13 have done this?

Thank you

Best wishes

Matthew

I have second Humax HDR-Fox T2 running custom 3.13 which I have jut put a 2TB drive in, I assumed I would have to format it through the web interface to align the operating system file-system block size with the native sector size but it has formatted it ok , will Custom 3.13 have done this?
The standard firmware format is perfectly fine up to 2TiB. Things Every... (click) section 12.

I have a Humax HDR-FOX T2 which is boot cycling, it started as an intermittent problem but is now permanent. (i.e Start System - Custom Firmware - system start etc).
I removed HDD and reinstalled official firmware, which works fine, I unstalled the custom firmware 3.13 and it is working fine.
Do you mean re-installed? If the unit works (as far as can be expected) with the HDD disconnected, then the problem could be the HDD but it might also be the PSU. You could try eliminating the HDD by fitting it to you other HDR-FOX.

Could I take disk out and check/repair the disk by putting in my linux system, then copy them back?
You could. It seems to me you have not familiarised yourself with the information already available, and I am somewhat amazed that you are running custom firmware but not aware of the issues with encryption or the facilities available to either decrypt immediately or later on (including by PC, Windows or Linux).

Things Every... (click) section 5

Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

Last edited:
The standard firmware format is perfectly fine up to 2TiB. Things Every... (click) section 12.

Do you mean re-installed? If the unit works (as far as can be expected) with the HDD disconnected, then the problem could be the HDD but it might also be the PSU. You could try eliminating the HDD by fitting it to you other HDR-FOX.

You could. It seems to me you have not familiarised yourself with the information already available, and I am somewhat amazed that you are running custom firmware but not aware of the issues with encryption or the facilities available to either decrypt immediately or later on (including by PC, Windows or Linux).

Things Every... (click) section 5

Steps for Resolving HDR-FOX Crash/Reboot Issues (click)

Thank you.
I tried search the forum but found it difficult to find the info I needed. The problem is the boot cycling, which I could not find when I searched.
I really had two questions 1 you have answered about formatting the 2TB dirve.
The other about recovering the encrypted is less clear. I installed the custom firmware mostly to download the occasional file to my PC and so I had remote access, but I have had little time to do more. In part the problem is because when I originally installed it I had no HD channels so there was no problem. Like most things it has presented it self a as a problem when it failed.

Yeah I also thought about the PSU, I will assume the HDD is failing to start with as this is something I can solve easily. The question is should I clone the HDD or is it sufficient to allow the box to format a new drive when Install it and then copy the file structure there appesr to be no . or protected files.

I assume the encryption key is generated/related to the IP/mac address or other hardware component?

I could cannibalise a 3rd box I have if the PSU is failing, I stopped using that one because it was very noisy.

Thanks you for your help

Hello Again
Update.
I have two boxes I have played with.

(A) the original which boot cycles.
(B) a second which works fine.

If I take HDD out of A it works fine.
If put HDD from A into B, B works fine except for encrypted recordings.
I have put PSU from B into A still boot cycles with HDD in.
I have put PSU from A int B works fine.

Not sure what this means, another component or is the HDD still likely to be the problem?

Best wishes

MAtthew

Hello
Thank you
I have tried swpping disks, and brand new disk, swapping data/pwere cables and PSUs. Leaves only the motherboard? Still works as freeview box. Just not with HDD in.

Thanks for your help

I have tried swpping disks, and brand new disk, swapping data/pwere cables and PSUs. Leaves only the motherboard?
If you are saying that you have put known working PSU and HDD with that motherboard and the fault remains, and the PSU & HDD from that unit work in another unit, then the last possible straw to clutch is that the front panel assembly is somehow causing it. However, that the unit does work without the HDD eliminates even the last straw (so far as I can see).

I tried a number of things now with parts from two boxes

Box A boot cycles
Box B is good (has same make and model HDD)

I hope I have not got confused but this is what I did

HDD from A into B works (not the HDD recordings)
HDD from B into A not work
PSU from B into A not work
PSU form A into B works
I have done factory reset and flush on A not work
I have sapped power/data cables B works A does not.
Situation at moment A has B PSU and power/data cable works as Freeview with no HDD.
But not if HDD connected.
Box A with brand new drive also not working.
Disconnected power supply to cooling fan no good.
I also unplugged (carefully) the HDD in the middle of the boot cycling then booted fine.
On last thing which not be relevant, with data cable no power it works, with power and no data does not, not surprising but does suggest it is a power issue but the PSU is good.
I guess it is now officially dead.

Thanks for your help

What happens if you restore everything to normal, but leave the hard disk unpowered until the machine has booted, then plug it in?

That's what I tried and it worked OK. So presumably means its a disk power-up issue of some sort, but unclear where. My guess (I know nothing of electronics) is the motherboard. But doesnt provide a way of reviving the box. But does mean you have a spare disk & psu.

Back